Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GrnGrand97's aka "Operation Mall Crawler" Build Thread

GrnGrand97's aka "Operation Mall Crawler" Build Thread

I just purchased a 1996 T4R Limited w/ E-Locker and figured I would start a slow build thread. This is called "Operation Mall Crawler" because my friend(who owns a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon) doesn't think 4Runner's can offroad.

As she stands right now:

CURRENT MODS
    Grey Wire Mod
    285 KO2's
    Toytec BOSS w Superflex
    SS Panhard
    Ultra Gauge
    AIRAID MIT
    Drifter CB Mount
    Adventure Off-road Fab Sliders
    Weathertech's
    Rear Diff Breather
    Relentless Fab Predator Bumper
    Superwinch Tiger Shark
    PIAA 510's
    CBI Ditch Light Brackets
    Hilux 167 Snorkel

2017 Plans
    - Steering Rack
    - Inner and Outer Tie-rods
    - Caliraised LED 20W OSRAM LED 2X2 POD
    - 9" Amazon ARB knock off off-road lights
    - Tundra Brake Upgrade
    - CVJ's

My 1st vehicle ever was my 1986 4Runner(where RedRunner_87) comes from. Was kept stock, with 31" Interco Trxus tires. That thing went everywhere and never left me stranded, I regret selling this every day. Had the power package(power windows, door locks and mirror's) and mint interior and exterior.

My 2nd "offroad" rig was a 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited. Had a Rubicon Express 3.5" Super Flex lift, Trail Ready Rear Bumper and 32" BFG M/T's. It was super flexy but man I broke something almost every time I went out.

After I sold the Grand Cherokee, I bought an 88 Toyota P/U. Didn't last to long until the engine blew up.

Finally was able to save up and get myself a 3rd Gen w/ E-locker.

Last edited by GrnGrand97; 11-08-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    1996 T4R Limited: Stock l E-Locked l 265/70/16 Destination A/T's l Ultra Gauge l Drifter CB Mount l AOF Sliders l Weathertech
    My Build Thread
    2001 Camry: Stock l DD
    1987 T4R: Stock l 31x10.50 Interco Trxus *sold*

Here is the plan for the next Month or so. Hopefully I am not missing anything.

4Runner Maintenance Items
    • PCV Valve (Part # 12204-62010)(purchased)
    • PCV Gormet (Part # 90480-18001)(ordered)
    • Electrical Contact Cleaner(Mass Airflow Sensor) aka Mass Airflow Cleaner
    • Carb Cleaner(Throttle Body)
    • 6 QT 5W-30
    • Oil Filter(purchased)
    • Air Filter
    • 2 Toothbrush
    • Spark Plugs (Part #NGK BKR5EKB-11) or (OEM Toyota #90919-01192)(purchased)
    • Plug Wires (NGK 4412)(ordered)
    • Fuel Filter (Part #23300‑62030)(purchased)
    • Windshield Wipers
    • Rear Wiper(purchased)
    • TPS(ordered)
    • AIRAID MIR(ordered)
    • Ultra Gauge (Installed)

4Runner Cosmetic Items:
    • Clear Corners (Installed)
    • Limited Badge (Purchased)
    • Passenger Side Headlight (Installed)
    • TRD Decal (Purchased)
    • Plasti-Dip Wheel Kit (Purchased)
    • Plasti-Dip (Purchased)
    Last edited by GrnGrand97; 07-17-2015 at 06:45 PM.
    1996 T4R Limited: Stock l E-Locked l 265/70/16 Destination A/T's l Ultra Gauge l Drifter CB Mount l AOF Sliders l Weathertech
    My Build Thread

Got my Plasti Dip wheel kit in today as well as the Ultra Guage. Got the 1st 2 pages set up on it, and found it is throwing a P0120 and P0121 Error Code. So I have added a TPS to my maintenance list. Which could be why I getting a hesitation and when I was on the freeway my RPM's would suddenly drop and then pick back up. Anyway here is the Ultra Gauge set up for now. Might move to a different mount in the future.

1st Page Set Up(need the Engine Temp since my gauge doesn't work)

Error Codes

I have the DIPYourCar wheel kit, Plasti Dip for the grill and fender flairs, TRD stickers and now the new Passenger Side Headlight and Clear Corners. Just need it to not rain for a couple days on my days off so I get it down. Next step is all maintenance parts.

My Build Thread

Take a look at your ball joints. It's pretty nasty if those break. Especially the lower ones. Camelback toyota is an amazing discount source for oem parts. I use them almost exclusively. Good prices too.

Make it yours and have fun doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks like a great start. Disregard my first step question on the other post.

When you take the TPS out bench test it to see if it's really bad. It may need to be replaced but it might still have a bit of life left in it. Mine threw a code for awhile but never acted up. I didn't replace it immediately but when I did I kept the old one as a trail spare just in case.

I've got an Ultra Gage and I like it a lot. I keep it in the ash tray and rigged up a spring loaded (rubber band) that holds it in place. When I don't need or want it it tucks out of site. Because I can I have 5 pages set up just so I have an eye on as much as I can. Somewhere I have pictures of the pages at idle and freeway speed as a baseline in case something starts acting up and I need something to compare to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Take a look at your ball joints.
    X2 on the LBJ and Camelback. While you're under there look at your sway bar end links and sway bar bushings. You might want to also install a transmission cooler if you don't already have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    Take a look at your ball joints. It's pretty nasty if those break. Especially the lower ones. Camelback toyota is an amazing discount source for oem parts. I use them almost exclusively. Good prices too.

Make it yours and have fun doing it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    I am going to check them out to make sure they are still good. But when I eventually get the lift on it, I have been researching the Tacoma LBJ and OTE to upgrade to.
    My Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Looks like a great start. Disregard my first step question on the other post.

When you take the TPS out bench test it to see if it's really bad. It may need to be replaced but it might still have a bit of life left in it. Mine threw a code for awhile but never acted up. I didn't replace it immediately but when I did I kept the old one as a trail spare just in case.

I've got an Ultra Gage and I like it a lot. I keep it in the ash tray and rigged up a spring loaded (rubber band) that holds it in place. When I don't need or want it it tucks out of site. Because I can I have 5 pages set up just so I have an eye on as much as I can. Somewhere I have pictures of the pages at idle and freeway speed as a baseline in case something starts acting up and I need something to compare to.
    I was driving her back from a friends house and every once in awhile on the freeway the rpms would dip like it wasn't getting and throttle. So I was kind of suspecting the TPS might be on the way out, and I found the OEM part for $35. Figured I would just replace since I am going to be cleaning the MAF and TB anyway, and it will all be taken a part. I am going to be research some different mounts when I order one for my Camry and move the Window mount to the Camry. I will figure out a new mount for the Gauge in the Runner.
    My Build Thread

Mine had a similar stumble (actually several different times) and I always traced it back to plugs and wires. Since you have no idea when they were replaced, I'd go after those as well.

I second the LBJ comments as well.

Welcome back to the forums, can't wait to see it grow!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Mine had a similar stumble (actually several different times) and I always traced it back to plugs and wires. Since you have no idea when they were replaced, I'd go after those as well.

I second the LBJ comments as well.

Welcome back to the forums, can't wait to see it grow!
    I am going to run the OEM plugs, NGK wires, clean MAF and TB. Most likely going to get the AIRAID MIR to clean up the look of the engine bay and replace the TPS. Hopefully that will get her tip-top and through winter. So I can save for the big mods, probably at some point get 4XInnovations Sliders during the winter.
    My Build Thread

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast