Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FJ80, family hauler, and crawler.

Thanks guys! How's the flooding, Hab? Anywhere near you? I'll be in St. Louis next month, for work. Looking forward to the cooooold!
    Adam

Tourist
    About 5 miles away was the closest so we were all good, just had to drive some long way arounds here and there. All the highways are back open (first time I've seen 44, 55 or 70 close because of flooding) and it's all about the clean-up now. Then again, more rain is in the forecast...

February can be -6 or 70 degrees, snow, rain, sunshine. Don't like it? Wait a minute, it'll change. I guess you won't be driving anything fun while you're here?
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

Nope. Probably ride in a bus from the airport. Our hotel is across the street from the convention center, so we'll be on foot while in town.

Glad you were out of harms way for the floods!
    Adam

Tourist
    Us too! I swim like a rock.

Lots to see and do- and much is free, like the zoo and science center, history museum and art museum.
    If you like climbing around on junk and getting in tight spots the City Museum is not free but certainly fits the junk, climbing and tight spots bill. Your elbows and knees will be banged up and your clothes will be filthy when you're done, if you do it right.
    There's also lots of hiking options in St. Louis county and beyond...
    I can't remember if you've been here before.

http://www.metrostlouis.org/Default.aspx
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.

Sounds fun, Hab. Last year, we had zero free time to go out and see the sights. The year before, we went to the Budweiser brewery for a tour, and Pappy's for BBQ. We'll see what happens this year. The company keeps us pretty busy, and throws a pretty cool reception. We're going, non stop, from 0630 to midnight, for a couple days. It's a good time!
    Adam

My lift supports, on the hood, work well in warm weather, but not so well when it's cold. Toyota wants quite a bit for replacements, and my suppliers at work don't have them in their lineup. I did see some aftermarket replacements on Amazon, but for the time being I am going a different route. After reading on Mud, I learned that the prop rod for an FJ62 is plug and play on an FJ80, aside from slight modification to the rod itself. So, I ordered the parts from Toyota. When I stopped by to pick them up, I was told the rod was no longer available. I got the grommet and retainer anyway, and began looking for a suitable prop rod. I located a '94 Pickup at the wrecking yard, so I grabbed the rod for $3. It needed a slight bend to work, but gets the job done. It's probably an inch shorter than it should be, but it beats a falling hood to the dome or smashed fingers!

Adam

This will also come in handy, if the hood needs to be opened while covered in snow. Not a common occurrence, but it happens!
    Last edited by malteserunner; 01-12-2016 at 09:48 PM.
    Adam

I replaced the lift supports for the rear door. No easy prop rod fix for this one. Again, Toyota wants a small fortune for replacements, so I grabbed these from Amazon. $40 for the set, and they bolt right on.

Last edited by malteserunner; 02-13-2016 at 08:58 PM.
    Adam

After the Pismo trip last year, my air filter was caked in sand. With cut fenders, and the fresh air intake in the fender well, the air box would draw in a lot of dirt. I decided a snorkle would be a good idea.

No turning back...

Riveted to the pillar...

And, another 80 with a snorkel...

Last edited by malteserunner; 02-13-2016 at 09:08 PM.
    Adam

Tourist
    Measure measure measure......measuremeasuremeasure!!!!! It was freaky enough to cut the fender for the side turn signals. What you did looks excellent!

Great job with the repurposed prop-rod as well.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast