Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: FJ80, family hauler, and crawler.

I lost count how of many times I measured, lol. It is not the easiest install, and I was especially uneasy drilling into the pillar, but it's on there now. Connecting the intake tube is fun too.

Next up, new tires and wheels.
    Adam

The alternator quit working a couple weeks ago. Ran it about a week putting the charger on it over night daily. I thought I would be able to replace the brushes, and put it back in service, but the brushes had plenty of life left in them. Parts for this alternator are made of unobtainium, so I opted to buy a Toyota reman replacement. Installed that Saturday, and charging is back to normal.

Adam

If any of you are considering new tires, I would recommend the Cooper STT Pro. I did a lot of research on comparable 37" tires, and the tech put into these tires had me intrigued. Initially, I had decided to go with the Toyo RT, but after seeing a set in person, I decided I wanted a tire with a more aggressive sidewall.

After seeing these up close, I was very impressed with their design. After taking the Landcruiser for a spin on and off the pavement, I am ecstatic with my decision. They ride well, are not noisy, and have tons of grip off road.

I got these in 37x12.50-17. The shoulders are very square, with actual tread width at 11.5", and an overall height of 36.75". I went with steel wheels, so the added unsprung weight is noticeable on steep highway passes. The Landcruiser isn't built to win any drag races, so it's not a big deal to me.

I had some rubbing in the rear fender well before, now with the new tires, I will need to add a spacer to the bump stop, to keep the tread from molesting the sheet metal. It gets up close and personal.

Last edited by malteserunner; 02-29-2016 at 11:48 AM.
    Adam

Went for a spin Sunday morning...

Bled the brakes in the afternoon. The fluid is coming out filthy. I bought a fresh quart of fluid today, which I'll run through it this week. Hope to get some more stopping power.
    Last edited by malteserunner; 03-14-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    Adam

Started my paint project today. I'll do parts of the 80 in sections, since I am limited on free time these days.

Last edited by malteserunner; 03-18-2016 at 11:40 PM.
    Adam

Wow man that's going to look wold when you get done with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks, kinda what I'm going for.

Got some more done today...

Adam

Looks cool!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast