Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexol treatment for leather

Lexol treatment for leather

My wife has a 2012 Acura with a very light colored tan leather interior that I noticed was looking dirty with areas of the seats starting to show signs of aging. I read some reviews and it seems like people really like Lexol, Leatherique and Zymol for cleaning and treating leather. I found Lexol cleaner and Lexol Leather Conditioner at my local Autozone and decided to give it a try.

I started with this, dirty and creased leather:

My wife hates cleaning car interiors and thus she doesn't give it much attention; and since I rarely drive the car I have never touched it. The driver's seat, leather armrests and center console armrest were pretty dirty. I used a soft cotton towel and went over the leather surfaces with the Lexol cleaner. This removed 100% of the dirt.

While I was cleaning I hit the plastic upper door panels and dashboard with 303 interior UV protectant. Cleaned the wood center console with warm water and cleaned 3 years of spilled soda out of the cupholders.

I used Lexol Leather Conditioner on a soft microfiber towel and wiped down all of the leather surfaces. The result was pretty amazing. The stretch marks that were showing on the seats are nearly gone. I will hit it again in a month or so and that should remove the marks entirely. The seats feel really soft now--you can tell this product will protect the seats from hardening, which leads to cracked and split seats.

Driver's seat that was creased:

I know many of you have leather interiors. Even if you think it's too late, it's probably worth a try. Unless of course your seats are already torn.

Thanks!

After our car was at the body shop, the interior is looking a little dingy. I will actually go out today and try to remove some of the dirt from the headliner and seats.

Did the conditioner (not cleaner) make the seats slippery? I remember using a product years ago that turned the seats into slip n slides.

It has been a long time since I cared about a clean interior!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

We sell several leather care products at work. I always recommend Lexol, solely from customer feedback, and reviews like this.

I guess it's time I clean up my own leather...

Thanks for posting!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Thanks!

After our car was at the body shop, the interior is looking a little dingy. I will actually go out today and try to remove some of the dirt from the headliner and seats.

Did the conditioner (not cleaner) make the seats slippery? I remember using a product years ago that turned the seats into slip n slides.

It has been a long time since I cared about a clean interior!!!
    Bob gave me some Leatherique to try on my POS Volvo and had good results with it as well. Those seats were 18 years old and one treatment softened them up quite a bit. But they were just a little too far gone to completely save them. I think if a person were to do these treatments every 2-3 years that these interiors would last a really long time.

I seem to remember the Leatherique was a paste, much like the consistency of car wax. I think the paste might get trapped in the perforated leather like our Acura has, but the Lexol I used was a spray and didn't leave any residue. As far as the seats feeling slippery, it's hard to say. I'll report back in a few days when Hanna drives the car.

This is our first new car and it's time I start paying a little more attention to it. I always drive our other cars because this one is an automatic, which I don't like.

We used some Meguiar's Leather and Vinyl cleaner. http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...vinyl-cleaner/

We had some blackish marks on the very light tan interior left over from the body shop. This stuff took it right off. I am happy with it, but I will try the Lexol next time on the recommendations here. I will use up the Meguiar's on the vinyl RTT cover, then follow up with 303, which we used to clean and protect the hard plastics in the Ford. The marks on the headliner we used a Scotchguard cleaner that worked really well. Can't tell that any of the stains were there!

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Nice! Now let's remind each other every couple of years to keep on this!

Too little too late for our 1997 LX450.
    But once we we get the seats re done, this will hopefully be in the front of my mind every couple of years.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

I'm in search of some seat covers. Not sure where to start though.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I'm in search of some seat covers. Not sure where to start though.
    For the Ford? Just be careful about what material you choose. The seat protector (similar to a seat cover) that goes between our infant car seat and the bottom cushion discolored the leather and took me a while to repair. That seat protector has been there under a year and only has 20 pounds resting on it, so it possible to do more harm than good with seat covers on leather.

Yeah that's why I really want to do the research to find the right one. Might wait until next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast