Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladder and tire carrier

John,

Amazing attention to detail and sheer ingenuity, esp w/ figuring out all the angles and making the metal bending work for you. Can't wait to see it all done!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    John,

Amazing attention to detail and sheer ingenuity, esp w/ figuring out all the angles and making the metal bending work for you. Can't wait to see it all done!
    Thanks! Right now the hinge plate is pretty ugly. I'm hoping I can clean up all the lines and round some stuff off so it doesn't look like Frankenstein made it. I should be done with the plate today unless I don't get any time today.

The last elephant in the room is the interior support. I had to adjust my solution as the rear set of holes lined up precisely on where the support bracket was going to bolt in. Thankfully there's plenty of area in there where I can scoot it to the left and I am in the center of the plate. I would try and take pictures but I know it just wouldn't work. You gotta be here to see it. The support itself is really simple. I will be using some rectangular tubing to fill the space between the plate and the corner support to transfer rhe twisting forces into the support.

I want to have this wrapped up by the end of the weekend with a be a little progress on the ladder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

The moment we have all been waiting for! I mounted it today and tested it with a tire. I wanted to see where the major force was at and I definitely found it but my plates really worked. I really had to push on the tore pretty hard to get it to move while it was closed and when it was open it only flexed when I really pushed down. My plate did not flex at all though which is good.

I cleaned up and cut the top hinge first. Took a while to fit and clean up all the slag.

Then I welded up the bottom hinge. The clearance on one of the bolts was really close but I managed to fit it right where it needed to go anyway.

Pretty happy with the hinge fit although the bottom one could tuck a little nicer. The unintended benefit is that it will close on you if you take your hands off it. I didn't build it to climb on or anything. Just to hold the tire.

With the tire mounted. Good thing I'm only planning 285/55 r 16s lol. Any wider and I would have serious mounting issues.

Doesn't really block a whole lot of the rear window but it does some I suppose.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Very nice, looks clean.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Got most of the work needed done tonight. Came out well and fits great. Fits snug as a bug in the gap. Took a little while to fit and weld up right but I very glad I did so. I only wish that making the bolts for the assembly was as easy. I ended up inventing a way to get the nuts on the backside. I am sure it will be a pita to install....but it will be possible.

Tomorrow I will be doing the final smoothing on the hinge and paint that sucker. Then it will get some neoprene treatment and get sandwiched together. Also the tailgate will come apart for painting. Then that is it for this particular project!!

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

That's how Toyota made the tow hitch bolts!

Looks great!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Sean! I'm really happy with it and when it's all together it is going to be really solid I think. It's already sturdy.

I learned a lot about building on this one. It should help quite a bit on this ladder project.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

All that work tools and skills. Why didnt you just build a bumper with swing outs??
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    All that work tools and skills. Why didnt you just build a bumper with swing outs??
    Weight and safety. My setup probably adds in the neighborhood of 30lbs total where a swingout would add another 150 or so.

The safety aspect comes in the form of attachment points. Mine has 3 supported by multiple anchors across the rear of the vehicle where most bumpers have 2 main attachment points to the frame and then that supports a single attachment point on the bumper.

Plus I haven't seen but this done once and it wasn't even done correctly. I wanted to do it the right way with mostly toyota parts. I didn't quite make it on the toyota parts bit just because it took quite a bit of aftermarket hardware to do this.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

My buddy added a factory swing out to a tube bumper on his 2nd gen runner.

Also the spindles on my swing outs are the size of a soda can. Not the wimpy trailer spindles everyone else uses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast