Thread: Ladder and tire carrier

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ladder and tire carrier

All of my projects have gotten kind of compressed. All of them are basically waiting on hardware from McMaster so I started the last project I will be able to do for a while. I gotta take a break and I also have to save $$. Eventually this will be a flat belly rig with enough armor for what I do but not be really heavy. I'm taking leave for most of September and I am hoping to make pismo still. We will see. The promotion list will determine that. If I'm not on it I have to finish what I have started and shelve the rest. Education and family come before hobbies. Good thing is I was accepted back to my old school with a full ride. Sadly it's in Michigan

I am still on the warpath to do a tire carrier and ladder without killing the rear suspension. Tire carrier is going to be a stock 2nd Gen mounted to reinforced panels. I don't think this will be very hard at all. I will fab up the bracket and attach it to the corner support. That along with body panels being nearly 1/8" thick will support the load just fine when open. The latch mounted to the tailgate will provide sufficient additional support. I will be running 255/85 r16 tires but that is it. Way less weight than a lot of other setups.

No on to what I've been cooking up.
    So far I'm just cutting metal but soon I will be throwing some sparks. Pretty simple ladder. It's too long in its current configuration but I don't have the tire carrier mounted yet so it is difficult to see how it will fit with the carrier.

The notched angles really make this an easy project that will hold plenty of weight. I went with 1.5" .090 tube. It should match the top rack nicely since the design premise is the same.

This project is kinda out there and hasn't really been done but there's only one way to find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-04-2015 at 10:35 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf