Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladder and tire carrier

Ladder and tire carrier

All of my projects have gotten kind of compressed. All of them are basically waiting on hardware from McMaster so I started the last project I will be able to do for a while. I gotta take a break and I also have to save $$. Eventually this will be a flat belly rig with enough armor for what I do but not be really heavy. I'm taking leave for most of September and I am hoping to make pismo still. We will see. The promotion list will determine that. If I'm not on it I have to finish what I have started and shelve the rest. Education and family come before hobbies. Good thing is I was accepted back to my old school with a full ride. Sadly it's in Michigan

I am still on the warpath to do a tire carrier and ladder without killing the rear suspension. Tire carrier is going to be a stock 2nd Gen mounted to reinforced panels. I don't think this will be very hard at all. I will fab up the bracket and attach it to the corner support. That along with body panels being nearly 1/8" thick will support the load just fine when open. The latch mounted to the tailgate will provide sufficient additional support. I will be running 255/85 r16 tires but that is it. Way less weight than a lot of other setups.

No on to what I've been cooking up.
    So far I'm just cutting metal but soon I will be throwing some sparks. Pretty simple ladder. It's too long in its current configuration but I don't have the tire carrier mounted yet so it is difficult to see how it will fit with the carrier.

The notched angles really make this an easy project that will hold plenty of weight. I went with 1.5" .090 tube. It should match the top rack nicely since the design premise is the same.

This project is kinda out there and hasn't really been done but there's only one way to find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-04-2015 at 10:35 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Cool. I can't to see what you come up with. I've always like the simplicity of the 2nd gen carriers. I think I remember a long time ago seeing a couple Tacoma guys use those on their trucks. I think one guy slipped some sort of support tube in the rear corner and mounting the swing away to that.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Cool. I can't to see what you come up with. I've always like the simplicity of the 2nd gen carriers. I think I remember a long time ago seeing a couple Tacoma guys use those on their trucks. I think one guy slipped some sort of support tube in the rear corner and mounting the swing away to that.
    And on the best day to get it. When the junkyard lords declare 50% off!

Oh and Sean I got that part you were after.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Awesome! Thank you!

Looks like a good score!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Awesome! Thank you!

Looks like a good score!
    Very good! I had to ask the lady to repeat the total lol

The upper hinge will have to be modified but I am sure that won't be much of a problem. Some boxed 3/16" should make an upper hinge quite well.

It fits pretty tight to the body. I might have to modify the latch as well but I think it will work out quite well. It will take some patience though.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Mike,

I recall seeing that too, but he didn't make any mods to the carrier hinge mechanism. it looked ghetto fabulous. i dont car what anyone says and i get it that "to each his own", but its got to look somewhat decent. do you recall where you saw it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    john

i posted this on FB for your reference:

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/oem-swing...arrier-113705/
    Thanks! I appreciate it. I have to take a look at it tomorrow on the computer. My phone screen is way too small.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Mike,

I recall seeing that too, but he didn't make any mods to the carrier hinge mechanism. it looked ghetto fabulous. i dont car what anyone says and i get it that "to each his own", but its got to look somewhat decent. do you recall where you saw it?
    I've got a couple of ideas to work out on paper to make it look semi professional. I doubt the welds will be pretty but they will hold. I've been lucky enough to meet a certified welder and what helps is he can tell me what I'm doing wrong even if he doesn't see the weld.

So for the mount I need to change I have some 3/16" flat.....a lot of it actually. So I was thinking of remaking that hinge with boxed plate and that way I can place it on the body where it is convienent. Same with the lower actually. I think I can simplify the whole thing just by making the mounts myself.

There will be reinforcement as well. I will make an L bracket off the corner support and bolt or weld in place. I would prefer bolts just because welding melts wires easily lol.

For the tailgate piece I believe that thor has the right idea. It's the only thing I see working and it seems pretty solid. I might try to slip some flat stock on the inside to bolt to with weld washers.

Here's the thread I'm referencing btw. He made a bad choice by not reinforcing it but otherwise it's solid imo. Please I am all ears for suggestions though.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...n-4runner.html

What I love about using the stock carrier is the fact that it spreads the load out over the body without having a huge force on the frame. Plus I got the darn thing for 15 bucks. If I can do a tire carrier for say 150 including hardware that's a seious win.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Okie dokie. I've got a plan I think. Hoping I can explain this clearly.

Reinforcement isn't going to be much for the hinges but it will be something. I have to use 1/8" rather than the originally planned 3/16" because of the shaping I have to do as well as the room I have behind the panel. The plate also has to be shaped to the curve of the panel which will be easier with the 1/8". I am going to use some of my spare 1" square tube as a vertical tie in to the holes in the corner support. Since there will be limited contact to the vertical tie in there will be a piece of 3/16" tied in arched to arch the curve.

The corner support to modify.

These are the holes I will bolt the tube steel to. They are vertical and sit about 3" forward of the brake lights. Pretty convienent holes.

Difficult to see in but this is the gap I have to work with lol. It's not much.

There is nothing thick in the corner. It is all just stamped steel so that leads me to two conclusions. The first being that the reinforcements were likely just brackets tack welded to the back of the body panel and then maybe bolted to another piece of support. The second is that the hinges don't carry that much of the weight although they certainly assist in the carrying.

The tailgate has some heavier duty stuff in it which is nice. I've taken it apart a couple of times. I might actually have to drop the motor assembly out to do the tailgate easily. It's a good thing I am taking leave soon. This is not going to be a small project. It is however fairly straight forward.

Now I have to brag a little on my find lol. This thing is almost in perfect shape. Only thing wrong with it is the license plate holes are stripped.

It even has the stock pin for holding it open!

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ok so the hardest thing I had to do today was find stuff in the garage that allowed me to set the tire carrier where I wanted it to sit on the vehicle without me having to hold it. Sounds easy right? WRONG.

After everything was mocked up I realized quite a few things that were iffy for securing this thing. One the tire carrier is too wide. Unlike the second gen we have a handle on the outside so naturally the handle being in the center one of the two things would have to give. Thor on T4R only shortened a little bit by spacing the mounts sliding it just enough to the right that you could access the handle with the center latch on the hatch.

Second thing was the mounts were too tall. Granted this spreads the twisting load when the carrier is being opened up but it presents a problem when using the center latch as it ends up being crooked. I do not believe this was addressed in the other build and could easily be why it was torn off.

Third, reinforcing the inside is more than just a little trick. I got started on it today but I want to think on the solution a little more before I commit to a solution. I do have lots of pics of what I did. I tore into the center latch. I am simply going to add some 1/8" plate to the inside and leave it at that with weld nuts. There's not much you can do in there besides simply add a plate. Since it is all behind the license plate adapter I might try to weld a little to the body just to make it more secure.

Ok so now we dive off the deep end. I looked at the swingout from every angle and realized it's not such a simple mount after all. It has little tweaks everywhere. So instead of just being able to cut willy nilly I had to sit down and figure it out mathematically (meaning guess)

That's about as far as I got today. I can weld the tubing easily. Its .120 wall so well within my capabilities. It's tacked together but it took a long time to set everything up and get a decent tack weld. I actually had to break one of my tack welds today and re-set the piece but other than that things went well. I am very worn out.
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-06-2015 at 06:16 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast