Ok so I've done a bit of work on the rear shelf.

And I have a question about my method of construction for the ladder.

So I made a few bends with spare metal and found that I couldn't get a consistent bend. On top of that the more I looked at the area the more ways I thought of to strengthen it.

But first is it OK for me to cut and weld the angle that I need? I figure it would be strong enough if I use 1/8". I can also weld a bead on the inside without making the weld too fat for the gap I think. I've got about 1/2" gap where I want the bracket to be.

The other reason for the cut and weld is so I can drill and utilize the hinge bolts as some extra insurance that the metal will stay exactly where I want it. I think the fold in such a metal would be good enough to hold weight but side to side motion would be the issue.

The bottom bracket will be made of thinner stuff but all it is really doing is holding the ladder to the door.

Another solution to this problem would be attaching the ladder to the top rack, utilizing some hinges and attaching a bracket to the bottom of the door with a second hinge and set of slide bars to account for the different circumference of motion. Not sure how I would figure out the distance but that would be a very sturdy ladder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk