Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Ladder and tire carrier

I had to get a buddy to help me out with the install but I think the shelf came out nicely.

Still working on the ladder. The upper bracket clears nicely....but not with the outside padding. I am taking a break till after Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well the ladder is going to have to wait till I can get around to fabricating a rear bumper. The upper bracket needs some more tweaking in order for it to fit the body nicely but I think Gobi was foolish to even design it with no lower support for weight. It will hold me and I even tested it but it flexes on the upper door frame too much IMO. A better design that incorporated the bumper is necessary to spread the load out. I think the tricky part will be having something that supports but also something that releases when the door is open will be the difficult part. I am planning a custom rear bumper so maybe that will be the solution.

The ladder looks great and I really am excited to continue this idea however I am not going to rush it and ruin a tailgate over a ladder. Hopefully I can find a place to work on the truck in Michigan but if not I made quite a few modifications that have improved life for me in the truck greatly. I need to go and use it now for a time. I will have pics in a little bit.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

The good news is I am really happy with the shelf. Bad news us I'm happier with the shelf than I am with the 906 springs. I will be going to an 891 set when able. I don't have 300 lbs of stuff in the back and I am definitely sagging past my comfort level. I'm probably at 200 lbs in the picture and I still have other junk to put in for the move.

Other good news is that I figured out the mounting for the rocketbox on the roof rack. I now have to use j-bolts like on most truck boxes but they work and they will hold. I have no idea what noise, if any, there is but I doubt it is worth noting.

That's it for mods for a long time. I'm still hoping to get out into the desert soon just to test out the suspension a little more. Anyone have some 890/891 coils for sale?

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 11-27-2015 at 08:30 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I get my coils from Wheelers. I'm currently on the 890's. I had the 906's but they sagged more than I liked. I forget how many miles I had on them but I got $100 locally. I think in the 2 years I had the 906's the price of all the coils increased by about $40/set.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    I get my coils from Wheelers. I'm currently on the 890's. I had the 906's but they sagged more than I liked. I forget how many miles I had on them but I got $100 locally. I think in the 2 years I had the 906's the price of all the coils increased by about $40/set.
    There's a used set that isn't too far but the thing is that gas would eat up most of the savings of buying used. I think I might just have to spring for them new and sell off the 906 springs.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910