Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladder and tire carrier

Lots of work done today and sadly and early halt to it due to a burp in the aircraft remover can. It got on my arm above the glove and I had to do a dance to get it off. Another reason to hate autozone.

Anyway on to progress. I started really early this morning doing something I never thought I would do manually......bend tube. Naturally you can't exactly bend this stuff on my bench. So here's how to bend .120 wall tube.

The strap is attached to one of my d rings (very strong btw). At one point I was moving the 4runner. Then I set it in gear. I was able to make 3 successful bend pieces. I tried first with no sand. Bad idea. Definitely fill with sand and tap it before you bend it. The potato bar goes down the end of the tube to give me a bigger handle. The pylon gives me the perfect radius bends of the 4runner.

Those two are identical. The other is sharper but all three didn't kink which is great.

I went back and sheathed all the tube behind the welds and took my time welding them up. It looks great and it's straight.

So on to fitting the tire carrier latch. Since everything connects to this I started here. I had to remove the license plate surround which is a total pita but patience will win out.

I had to slice out one of the holes because it interfered with the rear latch handle.

Pics of fitting directly to the rear door.

The reinforcement that will go behind the panel. Sadly it's not very big but the good news is that the metal in the door is curvy all around the attachment points so that should increase the strength of the panel in itself. I will be using the top and bottom holes with a firm rubber bumper and a fender washer on the backside. That will help distribute the load more but it's so tight in there I can't do anything more.

Going to have to cut this as well. I'm hoping for a really tight fit so it looks like it was meant to be there....but I doubt it will lol.

When I was removing the powder coat from the panel reinforcement is when my accident happened. It really sucker but I will finish the rear door tomorrow so I can have a functioning door back for monday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-12-2015 at 04:35 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ok so the rear hatch is done. Everything fit miraculously well. It's really sturdy. This is building right now so eventually when I'm on leave I will take it all apart and paint everything pretty and put it back together.

So that's the support plate with the weld nuts on the back. I didn't take a whole lot of care making it nicely but it is solid and it fits well. I just had to cut a small piece out for it to fit flush.

I have some .25" neoprene rubber cushion that I am using with all of the brackets and it works great. It squished down pretty good but it firms up and doesn't balloon out too badly. Highly recommend something like this when working with painted surfaces. Also provides a pretty good seal and a shock cushion.

Initial fit with bolts through the metal on the plate. I wasn't sure where the other bolt holes were going to line up.

Those are the size washers I used on the holes outside of the plate. There was no way to extend or bend the plate to accommodate those holes.

How tight the top hole was. My big fat fingers had to get up in there.

Of course the last obstacle was fitting my license plate in there again.

I got tired. I did have a video of me shaking the truck from the strike plate but it keeps failing to upload. It is very sturdy though.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Does your window still go down?

Looking good! Braver man than I!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Does your window still go down?

Looking good! Braver man than I!
    It clears everything with ease. It was the first thing I tested though lol.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

I hope you have another option of securing the license plate at a later date. Could attach it to the ladder, but make sure you get a light on it!

I can't wait to see this thing done!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I hope you have another option of securing the license plate at a later date. Could attach it to the ladder, but make sure you get a light on it!

I can't wait to see this thing done!
    I gotta see where the tire is actually going to sit and stuff. I salvaged the license plate holder from the stock carrier and the brackets too so hopefully I can kinda stick it on somewhere lol.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

If you can't make it fit, I could find a home for it on my Cruiser! : )

Your work is lookin' good!!
    Adam

That's coming out great.

Good job on the pipe bending and to be consistent to get multiple bends.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    That's coming out great.

Good job on the pipe bending and to be consistent to get multiple bends.
    Thanks! Bending that .120 wall was harder than I thought. I broke a sweat doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by malteserunner View Post
    If you can't make it fit, I could find a home for it on my Cruiser! : )

Your work is lookin' good!!
    Lol I can't go back now. Got holes everywhere and thanks! Hopefully I get some free time during the week so I can start mocking things up.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So I either did something really right or really wrong lol. I went out to mock stuff up and this is how it went.

It holds itself. I didn't plan on that but it's a plus as it let's me see exactly where I sit as far as fitting goes.

Really close to the body. Closer than I thought it would be honestly.

A pic of the piece I picked out for the top bend. It didn't kink but it wasn't far off even with the sand. I think it still has plenty of strength though. I almost cut it too short.

Bottom bend.

Not sure how the differences in the bends (no matter how slight) will effect the swing action so it's good that I have heim joints so I have a bit of adjustment.

Also now sure of how I should go about making the rest of the mounts because I'm not exactly sure where the holes will show up on the inside. They have to be within a certain range but all of the bolts have to be on the plate this time instead of just 4.

Right now I'm gonna go with placing the mounts on the outside exactly where they need to be and then developing support for them on the inside within the general idea of what I drew up.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast