Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladder and tire carrier

Got a good amount done today!!

Everything is ready to hang!!

I need to slice a little off the top carrier side and add a little to the bottom. Then I am welding the bends in before I do the support. Once the support goes in I will figure the hinge tabs out. Everything is looking pretty good though.

Found out I will be leaving the service near the end of the year. I am going back east to finish my education. Also instead of having nothing to fill my leave days we are travelling up to see family I the Seattle area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Another productive day! Didn't get started till after 1400 but the hinge plate is done!!

Here goes nothin! Wasn't quite sure how to do this precisely.....so I jumped in and adjusted fire as needed.

The lower hinge tacked up. Monstaliner is wonderful at allowing a tack weld.

Welding everything up. Taking my time on the beads really helps. The heat rings were pretty well spread out so I am certain I got enough penetration. I also used a sleeve on the inside to both strengthen and align the tubing. Worked like a charm. Flux still sucks to clean up but the welds were solid so I'm good with it.

Tacked up the upper and lower hinge plates. I am fairly certain they are strong. I know it's not the strongest design but it is very solid. I don't see this failing at all. I am going to add a triangle on the inside just to add strength. I should be able to clean this piece up tomorrow and finish the bracing.

Finishing the welds and cleaning it all up to make it look purty is gonna take some time. Welds are good though.

I found these killer little pieces to keep the dirt and junk out of the joint. They were like 12 bucks for 6 and they really do stick tight to the joint without limiting movement.

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 09-18-2015 at 08:28 PM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looking good! That hinge plate matches the contours of the side of the 4Runner perfectly--not sure how you managed that!

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Looking good! That hinge plate matches the contours of the side of the 4Runner perfectly--not sure how you managed that!
    A big clamp, another big clamp, a 3lbs hammer, and a bad day.

What was crazy was that it only took 10 minutes to get it done. The hardware also helps a lot but it does fit fairly well without bolts.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Man I thought I had it. Messed up the hinges. Everything else fit well. It just wasn't flush like I wanted it to be.

This is how sure I was that I had it right

I just cut the wings so I can weld extensions on at the right spacing.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ok so after further review and a little bit of figuring out the adjustments on the stock tire holder itself (thank you toyota!) I have new measurements so I will be cutting and welding tomorrow after I drill some. This time we are doing this right!!

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Oh man. At least you're still at it. Your work is really coming along.

It looks like you've got some changes and a move ahead of ya. It's good to hear you'll be able to get some schooling finished.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Oh man. At least you're still at it. Your work is really coming along.

It looks like you've got some changes and a move ahead of ya. It's good to hear you'll be able to get some schooling finished.
    Since I didn't make the mistake of trying to drill the tabs on the plate this time I should be able to get them within spec on the first try. Then I am boxing the front to help with strength since I am doing a butt weld.

I do have a big change coming. It's bittersweet. I am glad to be going back to school...and sad I'm leaving the service.

I'm also going through all my other mods and checking for rust especially near the body panels. I bought a good amount of neoprene rubber and that stuff is amazing at waterproofing!
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well I was able to make 2 tabs that match up. The other 2 will have to wait till tomorrow.

I'm in a transitional readiness class right now so my days are longer than usual. I hope to have this particular piece wrapped up and painted by the weekend. I gotta get started on the ladder post haste. Won't have a garage anymore

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Today everything got glued together. It took a long time for everything to get lined up and I only have the top hinge boxed right now. The bottom one is going to take special planning. It is very close in clearance to the heim and the bolt on the other side. I'm not sure if I can really fit it at the moment. I also have to cut everything down and grind it to make it look nice.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast