Thread: Trip Report: Big Bear via Grapevine Canyon, White Mtn, Butler Peak, Green Valley

Trip Report: Big Bear via Grapevine Canyon, White Mtn, Butler Peak, Green Valley

I met up with a few Jeep friends from SCORE on meetup.com and drove through Grapevine Canyon, White Mountain trail, to Wright Mine, 3N89, 3N08 to Little Bear Springs, 3N14, then 2N13 to Green Valley. We wanted to go to Butler Peak fire lookout but unfortunately we found out the road (2N13C) to the top is closed. So we continued along 2N13 and went to Green Valley.

This was our GPS track for the day (~33 miles).

Heading south through Grapevine Canyon.

We found the giant head too.

We entered SBNF and headed east along White Mtn trail. The NF rates this "most difficult" but it was more like "hard moderate" as my stock 4Runner was able to make it up with stock tires. My RCI skid plate took a beating though.

The start.

Leading the Jeep pack

After getting over the North and South Peaks we took a short shelf road to Wright Mine.

Tight turn

Entrance to the mine

There was a spring inside the mine so there was water everywhere.

My brand new RCI aluminum skid plate cracked on both sides at the welds. Not happy.

We rejoined White Mtn trail and kept heading east. This section was pretty tough as it was rocky and very loose. I almost had to be winched up it before we stacked more rocks for the rear wheels to hook up.

Here's a view of South Peak (in center of photo) and North Peak to the right.

Matt's Jeep had some loose bolts on its u-joint but we were able to tighten them up and keep going.

This was the last tough hill climb along White Mtn trail. We all took the trail to the left as the right was very steep and very rocky.

We all made it up.

This is along 3N08.

We wanted to see Butler Peak fire lookout but the road was closed which would have required us to hike the 2.2 mile road instead. It was 3pm and we were pretty tired to have to go on a steep hike for an hour or so. I'll come back some other time though. I snagged these three photos off the web.

View from the lookout

So we continued on along 2N13 to Green Valley.

We came to a sign that said "Locked Gate Ahead" but the road kept going and going.

We eventually did come to the gate but it was open and it dropped us out at Green Valley campground. Great trip!

Hey thanks for sharing!! Beautiful scenery for sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf