Thread: New Vehicle Complications

New Vehicle Complications

So I traded our 08 scion for an 08 Highlander awd limited and I love this thing. Outstanding gas mileage for its size (about most exactly a 3rd gen if not more room), great features including an automatic rear gate, prox key, reverse camera, fully independent suspension, 2 a/c units, 3 zone a/c, power seats, leather, heated seats......basically everything except nav and I didn't really need that.

It even has a roof rack system I could mount the rocketbox to....except there's a problem. The front bar does not go far enough forward to allow the rear gate to open. Since I bought this way out of state it is currently an issue. This is a need to fix. I can either lift or slide the box forward 4 inches or so to solve the problem.

My first thought was to drill new holes in the box and move it where I needed it and reinforce from there. I think that might make the front of the box to heavy and crack the box. Anyone have any deas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Do you have a lot of weight in the box?

I've seen many cracked boxes, almost all un-modified. If it's properly loaded and later reinforced I don't see you introducing any problems these boxes don't already have. YMMV though.

Is it possible to remove and turn the bars 180* to get more room? Like on the 3rd gens by rotating the bar so it points 'backwards' the foot goes more forward in the track. This won't get you a ton of room but maybe it can help.

Our new Pilot has a rear hatch like the Highlander but the rear glass also pops open. It's nice as it's smaller and doesn't go as high as the hatch when fully opened.

I thought about the glass too....stupid spoiler is attached to it lol.

I never overload it and light stuff goes on the ends and the heavier items go either on the bars or in between the bars. I've had this box for around 20 years (my parents had it before me too lol) and it has held up so well. Solid solid box but I don't want to mess it up either. Maybe if I use some thin metal bracing it will help a little with putting holes where they would need to be. I would just need to keep heavy items out of the front and make some kind of front foot to support the box.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

A foot may be a good idea if the over hang is pretty long.

I think that's what I will do. I will also try to find some plugs and some neoprene strip to redo the weather seal inside. It needs new lift struts too.

At least it's better than spending another 800 bucks to get a new one. I think the older yakima products were much better quality.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf