Thread: Quick bracing idea

Quick bracing idea

Ok so I drank the kool-aid a little while ago and got the hilux 167 snorkel for the runner. Very happy with it but I was hesitant to install the upper brace because of the area it was in. It's supposed to be riveted in to the windshield frame.

It's right above the ditch light bracket.

So on to my concern. In town driving the snorkel doesn't shake much but when you hop out on the interstate the wind can really make it move more than I expected.

So here's my idea that I'm thinking about to brace it up so the snorkel is firm but....there aren't any holes. Here are some pics to help out.

The ditch light will be the lower brace mount and I will just drill a hole and mount it.

Then I will need to bend it so I can bolt it to the l frame and then the upper brace will be the roof rack.

I think I can do it with just 4 or 5 bends on the flat metal but I'm not certain. It's hard to tell with pics and honestly seeing it in person doesn't help much.

The one part I haven't really figured yet is a clamp for the rack. I've looked and while I have seen a few clamps none seem well built enough or they are roud, expensive as hell, and over built for the purpose.

The metal I have for this is 3/16" flat, 1" wide. Should be easy enough to form with hand tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Step 1 bend some metal. Career Jammer made me frustrated at work anyway. Good stress relief.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

This was an easy project. I couldn't believe how everything just lined up. Right now the paint is drying and I will have to order some stainless hardware on payday.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

So how did you end up attaching it to the rack?

Were the holes in the 167 bracket too far off to use as intended?

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    So how did you end up attaching it to the rack?

Were the holes in the 167 bracket too far off to use as intended?
    I thought about it......and then drilled a hole where I needed it lol. It doesn't look janky and it's going to be a permanent type thing so I skipped a clamp and just drilled. Then since I have a good amount of paint I patched up what I needed. Pics a little later this morning. It's getting chilly in the desert (so the 60s )

The reason I didn't use the 167 mount was because they wanted you to use rivets on the windshield frame. Drilling and planting a rivet there is something I wasn't going to do (too much risk for rust) so I just put some 3m tape on there and left it.

3m tape lasted about 4 weeks and then I noticed how much it moved. This is my alternative to putting rivets in the frame.

Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 10-23-2015 at 08:22 AM.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Works great and it doesn't block my line of sight any more than having a snorkel in the first place.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf