Thread: Lockable Rotopax mount

Lockable Rotopax mount

I bought a 3 gallon Rotopax last year for a little piece of mind. Most of my trips don't require fuel but just in case, I wanted an option. For Sean's MRE a few years ago I used my 5 gallon jerry can. My roof rack is topped with expanded steel so I used eye bolts and a strap to secure it.

The jerry can didn't budge or leak but it's big and heavy. I found a deal on the Rotopax direct from them and figured it would be a nice smaller option. I looked into their locking mount but it seem pretty expensive for what it is, especially since it won't get a lot of use. I figured I could make my own mount went from there.

I've wheeled a little with a large eye bolt on the Rotopax and it worked but it wasn't pretty nor secure. A while back I started on a new version and after little bits here and there for the past 4 months I finished it up.

My intent was to have a locking holder that secured the opening and didn't require tools to remove the Rotopax. People around these parts siphon fuel, drill holes in gas tanks and pretty much take whats not bolted down. By securing the opening the idea is that someone would have to poke a hole in the can to get any fuel.

I welded a plate with welded nuts to the rack frame under the expanded steel to make sure nothing moves.

All mounted up. I still haven't put the rack on the roof but hope to test things out this holiday season.

That's nice and clean. Looks like we're all upping our game in the professionalism area.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Looks great!

I still want to rethink my fuel storage, maybe some day!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Looks good, Mike.

Very well done mike! I like it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks guys.

The can is held down with a home made washer of sorts using an Ikea cutting board. I traced out the Rotopax circle and cut two washers. I glued them together and drilled a hole in the middle to fit around the large bolt sticking up. Everything is held down with a regular washer and large wingnut. I drilled a hole in the bolt and added a lock. It's the same lock I used for the Scepter water can holder and has a re-settable combo. It's not super strong but it will hopefully keep the honest people honest.

I need to find that lock again and get some more. For the Scepter carrier but also for some Tred Pros that I ordered. Once they come, this Spring, I think I'll use the rack to transport them. I'm thinking I'll do something similar with welding in mounting areas with threaded holes and use upward facing bolts with locks to secure things.

I got in on an early Kickstarter deal and picked a pair up for $126.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ion-device-for
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 04-24-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Well it passed the first test. Made it home and back without falling off and burning the car behind me. I was slightly concerned with pressure variance due to elevation and temperature. Home was cool and around 275 feet elevation and I got as high as 5000 feet and much colder. By the time I got back home it was warm and sunny. The Rotopax is quite thick but all cans I've had bulge or concave if left to sit too long. I didn't notice anything with having the can sucked down with the disc and wingnut but I'll keep any eye on it. I want it just a little tighter than rattling.

Teaching the boy how to dig me out.

Man I missed all the snow by the skin of my teeth. Very glad I wasn't driving through New Mexico last week across the country.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Looks good Mike, and so does the upcoming forecast for snowy conditions. @BlueCanyon

= more