Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's 2005 Lexus LX470

You mean Garrett.

I bought the Strong Arm brand. They were a few dollars more but generally had better reviews.

Since this is my Lexus thread, I should apply an update.

It is currently under a car cover waiting for time and money for front brakes/etc. I am commuting with the 4Runner right now.

I did buy a Nav replacement screen. It is best described as a disaster. It was installed for 1 week then it came back out in favor of the stock unit. It has great potential but I honestly need something that just works.

I will be working with a local company on armor soon. I have better access to a good CAD system so that should move that process forward.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Hey Sean,
    So I got the lifts last Saturday and began the process. Couple o' things if you haven't looked and assuming they're assembled the same way as my 98 4Runner:

- The bottom bracket has a pin, plastic push-type grommet bushing w/ a flange at both ends, and a snap ring. So yes, those snap rings are a pain to get off without taking off the bracket itself. That's exactly what I did when I realized:

- You need a ladder to keep the hatch up. Or a wife with one arm propped up and a beer in the other hand waiting for you to finish the job :P (j/k) But I think yours is just a window. But perhaps the same effect that a single shock can't hold the weight of the window or hatch in your case can't hold the weight up.

The bottom bracket bushing in my case was about 60% destroyed. Called a few parts dealer with no luck. I ended up buying a flange polymer bushing from igus.com:

Energy Chain Systems® and polymer plain bearings Reference no. W16-5020-1955

Pos. Number Part no. Description Price/Unit Total
    1 3 JFM-0608-08 iglide® J, flange bushing (metric) 1.30 USD 3.90 USD
    2 3 JFM-0608-10 iglide® J, flange bushing (metric) 1.30 USD 3.90 USD

I'll let you know if it works or not.

On the other top half (piston end), there's a different shaped flange, same type of pin, snap ring, but a large wave washer. No plastic bushing. All parts appear to still be in good shape.

If you can remove the snap rings w/o removing the brackets, I'd say that's the way to go. But I tried for nearly a half hour before I said fuggit and unbolted the 4 loctite'd bolts and finished the rest inside my place. Good thing too because the first snap ring flew off but luckily it hit something that absorbed the impact and it was obvious where it landed. Had I done that street side, this thread would've been a rant!

Oh yea, do one side at a time for reference's sake.
    Bob, got my new lift supports installed. Thanks for the tip on the snap ring tool, made it so easy.

My plastic bushings were about gone, did the igus.com ones work for you? Also, on mine, the plastic bushings were on the top brackets, with the wave washers on the bottom. Is this opposite of yours?

Garret,

I haven't had a chance to put those bushings in. I would have to look at the truck about the wave vs plastic bushing placement tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Bob

Garrett,

I made a description mistake: My wave washers are on the bottom bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob98SR5 View Post
    Garrett,

I made a description mistake: My wave washers are on the bottom bracket.
    Cool. Also, i ended up going with this method to replace my broken plastic bushings: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-tailgate.html

I used my long weekend to design and build a mount for my Yaesu FT-7800 face plate.

On the printer (excuse the blur):

From left to right: Print failed due to power outage, print successful but locking tabs were too low, print failed to adhere properly to the bed, final successful print.

Whipped up a quick 45 degree bracket:

Installed:

I can still remove the face plate if needed:

This is just a prototype. I will reprint in nylon this spring when the temps rise and the PLA plastic starts to fail. I am sure I will make some changes (I already have to both parts, but these are usable).

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

3D printing sure makes a better end-product than some L-brackets and deck screws. Looks great Sean.

That is a clean install!
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Sean,

Looks Great. How did you attach the bracket to the center console? Do you need a special head to print Nylon?
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Thanks!

Bracket is attached with some 3M VHB mounting tape.

I can print this nylon with my 3D printer right now, just need a spool and maybe some more experience. It turns out nylon is a bit of a pain to print with. Since I'm doing such large items with it, I might need to build an enclosure to maintain the heat properly. This will prevent warping and layer separation. At least that's what they say.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 12-28-2016 at 05:11 AM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast