Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seanz0rz's 2005 Lexus LX470

That's the impression I got too. I found zero articles explaining how it worked (mechanically) and hundreds about it being broken. Sounds like OME is the way to go.

It will be fun to watch your build; the 100-series is a nice platform.

Sean we can talk this weekend about all of the stuff you're gonna do to my 100! haha
    Lance
    TLCA Member

2003 4Runner SR5 4x4 Chaos Edition
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser
    19xx M416 Trailer

Chaos Edition Profile
    Operation Rebuilding Chaos Edition
    01001001001001110110110100100000011000010010000001 11011101100101011000100111011101101000011001010110 010101101100011001010111001000100001

Surpised you didn't look into the GX. Either way. What will the vehicles purpose be? Replacing the runner completely and taking over its duties ?
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

It will take the 4runner's place. My days of rock bashing are over and I just want to explore the deserts and mountains.

We looked at the GX but we both liked the increased room of the LX, plus I really hate that rear door on the GX.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-12-2016 at 06:22 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    It will take the 4runner's place. My days of rock bashing are over and I just want to explore the deserts and mountains.

We looked at the GX but we both liked the increased room of the LX, plus I really hate that rear door on the GX.
    Sweet. Hopefully I'll get to check it out next years Mojave trip!,
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Cleaned the steering wheel in prep for one of these:

All told, it took about 6 hours and I am not crazy about the finished product, but it is still better than a sticky steering wheel. At least this should stay cool in the summer. I bought the C size, but I suspect it is a little loose around the wood parts. It's a hard call. Overall I am happy with it, but it was a pain to install and I either missed a few holes (I couldn't find any I missed) or it had a few extra (more likely). Quality is OK, but the thread is crap. If I did it again I'd buy some better thread.

Spent a bunch of time cleaning the carpets. It's better but I think I will have to pull the interior panels, especially on the 3rd row/cargo area and clean them and the carpet underneath. Lots of sticky spills. I'm actually fairly pissed off at the PO for calling this vehicle "clean". I think my OCD will cause me to strip it and clean it at some point. Probably when I go to do my wiring.

I added Weathertech mats on front and second row. Still torn on doing the 3rd row/cargo mat, I don't care for the big lip at the front. I will probably come up with a nice home-brew solution.

Anyway, here are the pictures:

I did have a look at the jack and tool kit. This is one of those details that sets the LC/LX apart from any other vehicle in the Toyota catalog.

There are the usual suspects: jack tools, spare tire tools, lug wrench. Then the oddities. Philips screw driver, 8/10mm combo wrench, 12/14mm combo wrench, spark plug socket, tire spoon. This is not your average tool kit...

Finally, I added the "If you rear end me, I am at least going to screw up the front of your car really bad" hitch. I will pick up a 2" ball soon. And I threw in the license plate frame I got for x-mas after the 4Runner roll for good measure.

Next up is... probably some boring maintenance stuff... I doubt I'll do anything exciting to it in the next couple of months.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 04-24-2016 at 04:43 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

As long as you don't have the cooled center console, taking the interior apart to do the carpet is as easy as it is in the 3rd gens.
    What was exactly wrong with the original steering wheel, you said sticky, can you elaborate?
    I am pretty sure that the steering wheel from the 05-06 Camry, the 4th gen 4Runner/GX, as well as the 05-09 Tacoma share the same steering wheel just slightly different styling it you end up changing it out.

Steering wheel was just dirty and had a little wear at 9 o'clock. I also really dislike the wood on it. This should be more comfortable and much cooler in the summer time.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Steering wheel was just dirty and had a little wear at 9 o'clock. I also really dislike the wood on it. This should be more comfortable and much cooler in the summer time.
    Sean,

Who made your wheel cover? If its Wheelskins, they'll send you more thread if you email them.

Personally it looks like the cover is too big.

Bob

Bob,

It is a cheap Superior Superskin. I'm too cheap to shell out for a Wheel Skins one. This is really to keep the steering wheel cool in the summer and hide the wood. I might redo it some day but honestly, it's doing its job just fine. I really don't expect it to last longer than 3 years.

I have to say, they say measure the largest circumference of the wheel, but you should really measure the smallest. If there is a gap, no big deal. If it overlaps or is not tight, it sucks.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast