Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Misfire codes again P0300, P0301, and P0302

New plug resistance testing:

Plug___RES___Cut off___Var (out of range)
    1_____4.5_____5.0_____-0.5
    2_____4.5_____5.0_____-0.5
    3_____4.7_____5.0_____-0.3
    4_____5.2_____5.0_____+0.2
    5_____5.3_____5.0_____+0.3
    6_____5.1_____5.0_____+0.1

Gapped all plugs to 1.5. Oddly enough, the service diagnostic manual says 1.0mm. However in the service manual itself, it say 1.0mm - 1.1mm. So I chose right in the middle.

Of note on the 5.0 ohms cut off, that's something I read in two articles as a benchmark ohm resistance reading that you should use to make the keep or buy new plus decision. It doesn't state that in the factory service manual.

Coil pack resistance test for new coil packs:

Coil packs out of spec on 1 test. See below

Test #1: Primary test

CP #_____Res_____Cold range_____Var (out of range)
    1_______0.08_____0.67 - 1.05_____OK
    2_______0.09_____0.67 - 1.05_____OK
    3_______0.08_____0.67 - 1.05_____OK

You can do this test hot too. I didn't hot test because all the parts are off. Perhaps the next time I'll hot test first.

Test #2: secondary test

CP #_____Res_____Cold range_____Var (out of range)
    1________11.0_____9.3 - 16.0_____OK
    2________11.1_____9.3 - 16.0_____OK
    3________11.2_____9.3 - 16.0_____OK

So looks like the new coil packs are truly within spec

Added as reference from Witchhunter website section where they talk about problem injectors:

Denso - Coil windings will increase in resistance.
    90's Toyota (various top colors)
    Normal resistance: 12-14 ohms.

1 out of the 6 injectors failed the resistance test. Testing performed using a multimeter and placing prongs on the only two pins within the injector plug harness. Of note, I used the alligator clip style connectors instead of the probes. Having that solid connection (vs using your hands to keep the probes steady) allows for a more accurate, stabilized reading. I'm waiting to hear from WH to see if he recommends sending them in for cleaning, which is the direction I'm leaning. But as you can see, all of them have gained a resistance point putting the remaining 5 just slightly past the recommended resistance range:

Injector Port#__Prior result_____Current Result____Notes
    ___01__________~13.4__________14.3_________
    ___02__________~13.4__________61.3_________Failed; not sending back
    ___03__________~13.4__________14.3_________
    ___04__________~13.4__________14.1_________
    ___05__________~13.4__________14.3_________
    ___06__________~13.4__________14.0_________

Right now I have wads of plastic bags keeping the dirt out of injector and spark plug ports. Taking rough measurements of both, the ID of both are 1/2" and 1", respectively. I'm going to buy some rubber plugs so I can clean up around the port areas, esp the injectors. The injector ports have a lot of dirt and crud in the inner/inside portion---not good if that crap falls in. If I can find that old set of plug wires, I'll use those, but for the injectors it'll be rubber plugs

Got my replacement injector. Curiously I noticed that the part number changed and so I was a bit concerned. I checked a few parts websites and indeed the part number has changed at some point.

Old part #: 23250-62030
    New part #: 23209-62030

Resistance was 14.1.

Sent the remaining injectors for a cleaning. Waiting for those guys to get back sometimes I hope by next week Friday.

Also I installed those rubber plugs and spent about an hour and a half cleaning in and around the injectors and spark plugs. I was able to use a brass brush and a toothbrush to clean around the aforementioned holes. i may give it another cleaning before installing the plus next weekend.

Removed MAF unit and bench tested resistance and cleaned. If you have the MAF unit placed w/ the two bolts on the table with the MAF sensor box at the top, there are a total of 5 pins from left to right. Place your multimeter tips (alligators can fit in here too and hold so much better) on the 2nd and 3rd from the left. Since my place is about 76F inside, the range should be between 2.0 and 3.0 Ohms. Mine tested at 2.3 ohms, so in good working order. Sprayed the two wire filaments inside the MAF unit itself, gave it a bath in some Simple Green and ready to be reinstalled.

On another note, my 5 working injectors didn't arrive in time for this great weekend to reinstall everything. So after visiting Paddlenbike yesterday and taking a look in his engine bay for a hose replacement pic I needed, I was inspired to clean out my engine bay. I've only got 40% done so far. Won't look like Ken's by any means, but there's years of grime. I attribute the dirtiness of my engine bay from not having the rubber side flaps in the front wheel wells...and general neglect!

Did you get new Toyota injector or sent the bad one back for service ?
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Toyotech,

I'm so glad I sent the remaining 5 to Witchhunter. He ran a test as part of his normal testing procedures and while my resistance testing on injector #1 was within ohm spec, his test proved differently. He said it had a bad coil and thus it was rejected for cleaning. So that verifies the codes that were appearing on my scanner P0301 and P0302 as failing.

I just got confirmation that the remaining 4 good cleaned injectors are in the mail today.

To replace the failed injector #1 and #2, I bought two different kinds. One OEM from Toyota, the other from Five0 motorsports. Yes, you read that right. Why? Because I want to see if these injectors are as reliable as the stock Toyota ones. Yes, I'm taking one for the team. I'm going to install them in cylinder ports #1 and #3 as those are much easier to access than the even cylinder side. The Five0 injector is arriving on Friday. I hope to install everything on Sunday.

Alrighty I got my injectors back. Here's the test results under "6/16 Results". It appears that either my multi-meter is off by 1 or not as accurate---I assume his test equipment is more accurate:

Injector Port#__Prior result_____Current Result*____6/16 Results___Notes
    ___01__________~13.4__________14.3____________13.6 ______
    ___02__________~13.4__________61.3____________Not sent___Failed; not sending back
    ___03__________~13.4__________14.3____________13.5 ______
    ___04__________~13.4__________14.1____________13.5 ______
    ___05__________~13.4__________14.3____________13.5 ______
    ___06__________~13.4__________14.0____________57.1 ______Failed because of bad coil (tested by WH)

Current Result* = my results with my multi meter prior to sending them in to Witchhunter.

Leak test, spray patter, static flow and pulsed flow are all in good shape and showed slight improvement after cleaning.

Speaking of Gordon at Witchhunter, he's very cool. Don't bug him too much as he's very busy, but I asked for a status update and he sent it back within about a 1/2 day and let me know the results. For the injector with the busted coil, he only charged me $2 vs $22, which was pretty upstanding of him.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast