Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me pick my next mobile HAM unit!

Mike whats the feedback on the new cheaper mobiles? I'm curious because when the wuxon/boafengs hit the market there was a lot of biased reviews that never really panned out to real world use. The sheapo 25w dualbands look like winners on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I have the Cobra 75 from the 4Runner I will install in the LC. I will probably go with a 4' firefly that will double as AM/FM antenna after I lose my factory antenna for a snorkel. That's the plan anyway. I won't be spending more than about 50 bucks on the entire setup.

I really love the idea of APRS, but you guys are right, cell and sat communications are just too good now. If I was into the hobby as a hobby, I would be in, but for something that just works, I'll keep my Delorme.

I'll have to see if I can find an 8800 for a decent price.

I'll have a NIB FT2900 for sale soon too.

Can anyone explain why I should be looking at a Dual Digital/Analog radio? I see the value of digital in data communications, but for voice, analog seems king for the long distance, low fidelity type of communications we survive on.
    I forgot you had a 75, you're good to go then. If you use it so infrequent I'd use a mag mount until you're ready for your Firefly, just to spread out purchases.

APRS is kind of cool and it has many applications but for me it's just a toy. Without cell service and expensive equipment it's somewhat limited on the trail. It would be cool to have a self contained, like a cell phone, map/screen that would display members of your group. We have a tracking and mapping system for my volunteer work but it requires larger trackers, laptops and pricey software.

If you're still sick fire up the YouTube and watch some videos on digital radios. I think the Comms Prepper has some new videos on it. I hear guys talking about it on the radio here. I think the consensus is that the radios are expensive and the network is too small. One little group has all of their own equipment and a tower and have a private digital group. Through digital they also do packet radio which is one advantage.

In my travels I'll see a D-Star repeater every now and then but not often. I think DMR is the other system, mostly manufacturer driven. The new 3200-DR is a nice looking radio. I got to finger one recently and I like how clean and solid it feels. It does digital and is Yaseus venture into the mono band, lower price mobile set up. It doesn't appeal much to me as it's mono band and doesn't have CBR.

You can use the 2900 to fund a radio or keep it and toss it in the Ford. I wish I had a little radio in my wife's car, which I'll touch on in Troy's post.

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy162 View Post
    Mike whats the feedback on the new cheaper mobiles? I'm curious because when the wuxon/boafengs hit the market there was a lot of biased reviews that never really panned out to real world use. The sheapo 25w dualbands look like winners on paper.
    Those new really small 25w dual banders are kind of appealing. Not as a primary mobile but as a back up or low use, portable radio or one to loan out for a trip. I follow a couple of groups on the FaceTube and people are buying them and having good experiences. One reason I mentioned not getting a primary Chinese radio above was mostly because of reliability and ease of use, especially when you take into consideration additional features like dual band, CBR and APRS. One thing I do read about some of these radios is that they can just crap out. Things like not turning on, no TX, no screen, loosing programming (and the radio doesn't allow field programming), over heating, etc. Just at Pismo I see it, mostly with the UV-5R's, granted there are guys that beat the hell out of that radio.

I know a few people that have the KT-UV980 and the KT-8900, or their variants. They seem to like them. I guess they are a bit tricky to program and can only be fully programmed via CHIRP. I don't have a huge problem with this except that it limits the radio in the field, especially if you need to add or modify the programming (say in an emergency). I started using CHIRP when I got my UV-82's and I'll say it makes life a little easier especially since I have three of the radios.

Lack of alpha labeling and heat are cons for me on these radios. While I don't use a ton of different frequencies I travel around enough that I have multiple frequencies for different regions. I'd need a cheat sheet to keep track of all the programmed stations. Also, while the small form factor is nice the little radios turn into hot bricks pretty quickly. It may be poor heat sinking (or not enough because of it's size) or cheap electronics. Heat kills and if the radio is used frequently I don't imagine it would last long.

I know handhelds are a little different but I sold my nice Yaseu HT for UV-82's and haven't looked back. They are lighter weight, have better and cheaper batteries, have similar accessories, "allow" more use of a band and have additional features like a flashlight or FM tuner. While that might sound cheesy they are features that come in handy and of course they radios are typically back up or used in conjunction with a higher quality radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post

A remote mount face plate is a must as I don't have the dash space to dedicate to a complete radio.
    Sean, I'm 99% sure I have the remote mounting kit for the 8800/8900. I know my radio came with it but since I didn't use it I shelved it. I'm sure it's all where I left it and I'm pretty sure I remember where that is. I'll consider it a donation to the LC build and hopefully it's one less thing you'd have to spend money on.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006367

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Sean, I'm 99% sure I have the remote mounting kit for the 8800/8900. I know my radio came with it but since I didn't use it I shelved it. I'm sure it's all where I left it and I'm pretty sure I remember where that is. I'll consider it a donation to the LC build and hopefully it's one less thing you'd have to spend money on.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006367
    Thanks! I'll have to start looking for a good 8800. I haven't dug much into the digital stuff, but I don't see it being something for me. I really don't want a quad band radio but cross band repeat is a feature I really want and something I think I would actually use. The rest of it is cool stuff to have but not essential to my lifestyle. I have enough hobbies as it is...
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12