With the new vehicle, I am looking at upgrading my HAM radio. Currently I have a Yaesu FT-7800 and I love it. It is lacking at least one feature that is becoming a must have for me: cross-band repeat.

The Yaesu FT-8800R and FT-8900R both have cross band repeat and the 8900 can be had for around $400. The 8800 has been discontinued but is still available from the usual suspects for $300 ish.

I'd love to get into the APRS, but it doesn't exist in my usual stomping grounds. It would be a nice feature, but I am not sure it is worth the $2-300 premium.

I am also open to Kenwood and Icom. I don't think I want to go down the road of the cheap Chinese clones, maybe in another vehicle with less of an important role to play.

A remote mount face plate is a must as I don't have the dash space to dedicate to a complete radio.

My short list:
Yaesu 8900 Quad Band (I really just want 2m/70cm), Cross band repeat - $400
Yaesu FRM-400DR Dual Band, Cross Band Repeat, APRS, GPS, pretty display - $5-600
Kenwood TM-D710GA Cross band repeat, dual band, APRS, GPS - $600
Kenwood TM-V71A Cross band repeat, dual band - $350

I haven't seen an Icom that tickles my fancy, but I am open to suggestions.

Really, is it worth it to go to a 600 dollar radio (especially the Yaesu FRM-400DR that has the digital features that will become more commonplace in the coming decade) over a 3-400 dollar radio? If the Yaesu of today is the same quality of my FT7800, then that radio will last indefinitely. I have ordered a few replacement components from Ebay to keep the wear items of my Yaesu in good shape.

So what say you guys?