Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me pick my next mobile HAM unit!

Help me pick my next mobile HAM unit!

With the new vehicle, I am looking at upgrading my HAM radio. Currently I have a Yaesu FT-7800 and I love it. It is lacking at least one feature that is becoming a must have for me: cross-band repeat.

The Yaesu FT-8800R and FT-8900R both have cross band repeat and the 8900 can be had for around $400. The 8800 has been discontinued but is still available from the usual suspects for $300 ish.

I'd love to get into the APRS, but it doesn't exist in my usual stomping grounds. It would be a nice feature, but I am not sure it is worth the $2-300 premium.

I am also open to Kenwood and Icom. I don't think I want to go down the road of the cheap Chinese clones, maybe in another vehicle with less of an important role to play.

A remote mount face plate is a must as I don't have the dash space to dedicate to a complete radio.

My short list:
    Yaesu 8900 Quad Band (I really just want 2m/70cm), Cross band repeat - $400
    Yaesu FRM-400DR Dual Band, Cross Band Repeat, APRS, GPS, pretty display - $5-600
    Kenwood TM-D710GA Cross band repeat, dual band, APRS, GPS - $600
    Kenwood TM-V71A Cross band repeat, dual band - $350

I haven't seen an Icom that tickles my fancy, but I am open to suggestions.

Really, is it worth it to go to a 600 dollar radio (especially the Yaesu FRM-400DR that has the digital features that will become more commonplace in the coming decade) over a 3-400 dollar radio? If the Yaesu of today is the same quality of my FT7800, then that radio will last indefinitely. I have ordered a few replacement components from Ebay to keep the wear items of my Yaesu in good shape.

So what say you guys?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Ive never used that repeat feature on my kenwood that I can remember, despite thinking I needed it when I bought it. To me APRS is bested by the sat messengers these days due to usable locations. Even with my lower requirements I wouldn't enjoy shopping for a radio today... Simple dual band and removable face plate still puts the prices right up there in the high end.

This is the Chinese clone of the Yaesu 8900: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B016VOTCKC?psc=1

I'm not sure I would trust it for longevity. My Baofengs have been good, but I know they will die some day.

I should also add that I REALLY hate being sick... It makes me sit at home and surf the net for stuff to spend money on!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 05-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

look at that sucker! its got some CB freqs available if we lived somewhere that was legal. Its pretty neat for a quad band, but if they made a dual for $150 id be game.

this one looks like it is closest to the FT8800: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014SCYZTC?psc=1. Still over 200 though. You can find good used units for that.

FWIW, there is a $120 rebate on the FRM400XDR. That would put it at 499 from gigaparts. Tempting...
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 05-24-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Youve got me googling over here lots more choices right now, but you're right about the prices. I complain about the high price of the Japanese radios, but Ive never heard of one breaking.

The things I found most interesting were these new Chinese 25W small dual bands for $60. Very no frills and featureless, but man thats kills CB for me.

I will put a CB in my new vehicle, mainly to talk to those that don't have a HAM. I expect to use it less than once a year.

Here is my two cents on the matter.

-Don't get a Chinese mobile radio.
    -Don't get an 8900-R.
    -Get a dual band.
    -Decide about the APRS now.

I've got and love an 8800-R. If I had to buy another mobile I'd buy another 8800. The ONLY exception would be the V71A, if it had a face the size of an 8800. The larger face was a total turn off as I didn't want an obtrusive mount in an already small passenger area that is the 3rd gen. The main feature that led me to the 8800 is the CBR. It comes in super handy in groups and using HT's.

It's a Yaseu so it will be easy to use since you've owned the 7800. Menus are similar as is the audio output and RX. When I was shopping I looked at the 8900 but stepped away quickly as I had no need for 2 additional bands no one uses. Not to mention non offroad friendly antennas and/or splitters.

For APRS I use one of my UV-82's along with a mobilink'd device. My 4Runner has two NMO mounts in the roof which is nice because I can use them for different purposes. One is pretty much dedicated to my in dash 8800. The other has a splitter inline so I can use it with another VHF/UHF or CB. For CB I have a Cobra 75 wx st mounted behind the dash. I use it about twice a year. When I need it I screw on a short CB whip to the NMO and plug in the mic. Most of the time that second NMO has a 1/4 wave antenna that I use for APRS through the UV-82. Troy is right though, other markets have positioning dialed in. My APRS runs in conjunction with my phone. If it were to show my location, and others, on BCN I'd be in love but alas.

I've looked at many clones and I only hear so so reports on them. The VGC VR-6600Pro-A caught my eye awhile ago as it would receive AM/FM and Air band. Those bands would be useful to me for my emergency radio work which is usually not in my vehicle. What it lacked was RX on the 800-900 which eliminates its usefulness as a scanner, in my neck of the woods at least.

I'd look for a closeout 8800 or even a used one. I found most that have one hang onto it because it's pretty good. I got mine on a really good sale from HRO plus a mail in rebate. I didn't realize they had been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I will put a CB in my new vehicle, mainly to talk to those that don't have a HAM. I expect to use it less than once a year.
    I'd keep it simple then. The 75 wx st runs off a small box that you can hide. I keep the 2 foot whip and mic under the seat just in case. I'll monitor on long freeway drives but for the most part I'm turned off from all the chatter and over amped stations.

I have the Cobra 75 from the 4Runner I will install in the LC. I will probably go with a 4' firefly that will double as AM/FM antenna after I lose my factory antenna for a snorkel. That's the plan anyway. I won't be spending more than about 50 bucks on the entire setup.

I really love the idea of APRS, but you guys are right, cell and sat communications are just too good now. If I was into the hobby as a hobby, I would be in, but for something that just works, I'll keep my Delorme.

I'll have to see if I can find an 8800 for a decent price.

I'll have a NIB FT2900 for sale soon too.

Can anyone explain why I should be looking at a Dual Digital/Analog radio? I see the value of digital in data communications, but for voice, analog seems king for the long distance, low fidelity type of communications we survive on.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 05-24-2016 at 06:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast