Thread: AR-15 vs AK-47 impressions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

AR-15 vs AK-47 impressions

Well as a little gift to myself for passing the dreaded project management professional test in late December and getting a nice $500 "bonus" from VW for their little TDI mistake AND a nice work bonus, I decided to finally build an AR-15. I finished it about 2 months ago, but I finally got an opportunity this weekend to zero it in. Crudely, but it's zero'd in. And yes, I spent way more than I intended So today on this great Memorial day, I went with my new friend up here in Northern Kalifornistan and went to the range for an hour or so to sight my red dot in. I decided to go with the full co-witness route instead of the lower 1/3rd.

Specs:

- 80% lower I got n bought from another forum member and a logo w/ fire control marks machined by a shop in El Monte, CA
    - Primary Weapons Systems 14.5" DI upper, 223 Wylde, Pinned FSC 556
    - Bravo Company MPI Bolt carrier
    - BCM Gunfighter Grip Mod 3 - Black
    - BCM Gunfighter VLTOR regular charging handle
    - BCM Gunfighter stock kit
    - BCM Gunfighter handguard inserts
    - Primary Arms Advance Micro Dot
    - Spikes Tactical lower receiver group
    - Magpul MS3 sling - black
    - Magpul MBUSII polymer back up sights
    - Magpul 10 round liberal progressive p###y mags

I bought a bunch of front vertical grips/handmounts or whatever people are calling these from a short handled BCM one, Magpul's AFG2, to the simple Noveski plastic inserts. Right now i just have the textured BCM inserts to keep the heat to a minimum on non-gloved hands.

So I've shot other's AR-15s a few times, but this one is different of course b/c it's mine. So just my 2 cents here: the AR-15 is a more precise tack driver for sure. AK-47 (I have the chinese version) is definitely the people's gun. If I were in an environment that didn't allow me the time to clean parts, I'd definitely go with an AK.

AK is a little bit of a rougher shooting gun. I've owned one since 94. Everything about it is just not as precise. Well to be truthful, really imprecise. But the simplicity is what I really like about it. When I was building my AR, I was really overwhelmed by the number of parts that's built into it. I mean seriously, WTF is up with a buffer tube pin that blocks the progress of a buffer tube spring and buffer? Detents...how many? 3? 4? Take down pins. My favorite? A detent spring and detent that makes or breaks whether your fire selector works or not. An AK? It's a flip of a piece of metal that internally blocks the trigger from moving at all. 1 part vs 3.

Now it's not like I'm ever going to war or anything, but if I truly had to pick between the two, I'd definitely take the AK with a red dot.

Speaking of red dots, wow, I went through a few mostly because the shit I was getting via Amazon was the worst. I got two units that had been clearly used and returned by the customers, but resold as new. Man oh man did I give Amazon some real "feedback" and they at one point pulled the vendor's ad and ability to sell. They found no evidence that the vendor was reselling used goods, but the pics I posted speak volumes. So I ended up buying directly from Primary Arms and sighting the Advanced Micro Dot was so easy. 1 coin, a few clicks, shoot 3, check, adjust, shoot 3 more, etc. By the 5th time, it was so dead on (from 50 yards), I placed 3 right in center mass. I'd say 1.5" group. My ghetto fab bench rest worked though. Maybe I could've gotten better results if I had a legit seat, table, rest, and spotter scope. I do plan to buy another one of these micro dots for my MAK-90. I'll be giving away my cheapo reflex Sightmark sight at some future date.

Anyways, my thoughts still remain the same. I love the rifle, don't get me wrong. But practically speaking if the shit hit the fan. Or if Glenn from the Walking Dead gets eaten up and the producers needs a replacement, I'll be there to fill in with my MAK-90.

Bash away if you disagree.
    Attached Images Attached Images