Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: August 12-14, 2016 Coyote Flats Planning

August 12-14, 2016 Coyote Flats Planning

I'm looking to put a small trip together to visit Coyote Flats August 12-14.

Here is a link to last years trip: http://www.ultimateyota.com/showthre...8-Coyote-flats

Here is a 5 day write up on Expo. I haven't read through the entire thing but it might have some worth while places to check out. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...at-CA-(5-days)

I read through some of Troy's past planning write ups for this trip and it looks like they were a Thursday night through Sunday trip. While I don't think I can swing that I'm open to a little flexibility.

The below is stolen from Troy's past planning posts. Again it's open to some flexibility as I have never been to Coyote Flats and hoping one of you guys can make it.

**Edit
    Coming:
    Michael
    Sean
    Troy
    Roy
    Rob
    JC
    Adam

Maybe:
    Toyotech

Difficulty:
    3.5ish

2M HAM:
    UY simplex primary 146.430 MHZ
    70CM HAM:
    UY/UE simplex secondary 435.000 MHz
    Optional Repeaters for meeting up:
    146.940- PL 103.5 Bishop repeater
    70 cm repeater coverage doesn't appear to be active in the location of this trip. In the past 444.600 was used but it appears to be down. http://n6ov.com/repeater.html

Requirements for bishop start/finish:
    -some form of communications other then cell phone
    -working reliable truck this is not a recovery run
    -food/water/ice chest if needed
    -tools
    -spare within 3" of your other tires
    -31" tires

Recommended:
    -3 ply sidewalls and Load range C or better tires for durability.
    -flashlights if you want to explore mines
    -fishing licence and gear
    -"drank" of choice and matching camp chair

Who's in?
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-09-2016 at 10:12 AM.

I'm in except for that Big Pine exit route. Nearly dieing once was enough.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I am interested, but it's going to come down to whether or not I can find someone to watch my child for that many consecutive days.

Great. Sean do you have a .gpx of the route you guys like? Or does it need to be edited to remove the Big Pine exit?

I will look when I get home. I know I have at least something.

That road was ok except for one spot where I nearly flopped down a 500 foot mountain side. I texted my wife I loved her just in case. Since it is likely that I will have the Big White Whale on this trip, I'd like to avoid that.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

agreed on that big pine exit. It was sorta pretty in areas, but who knows how crappy those bad spots are after this past winter.

You guys could see the whole place in two fairly full days id guess. There isnt that many trails unfortunately, but the views are world class.

I'll fire up Google earth tonight and drop the tracks I have and see where we've been and what was worth it.

Thanks Sean, that will help. Troy had a map in a planning post from years back but it's hard to make it all out especially since I'm not familiar with the area.

Troy, are you able to make the trip?

Looks like I don't have any recorded tracks. I thought I did. I do have the planning tracks but they need some cleanup. I'll get to them maybe next week.

I put in for Thursday and Friday. Goal I think is to make it up there for Thursday night. Even if you guys aren't there it would be awesome for us to have a day extra up there. We REALLY need a vacation!

It's a crazy time at work for me (Shawna), but I'm not saying no. I'll see if we can make it happen.
    2004 Lexus LX470
    2003 Toyota 4Runner
    1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    1972 Toyota FJ40
    1970 Chevy C20 "shop truck"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast