Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: August 12-14, 2016 Coyote Flats Planning

Alright guys, with the trip date approaching I've had a bit more time to start planning (looking into) specifics. Actually all I came up with was more questions but that's what planning is all about.

In past posts here and on Expo it appears that traveling and arriving at camp on Thursday is best in order to capture all this area has to offer. I'm down for Thursday night travel and waking up on trail. What about you guys? If that is the case is Funnel Lake the desired location for Camp 1?

Troy's past event report planned for Thursday night travel, Friday morning hanging out and continuing on the trail around noon. I'm cool with this and it allows those that leave on Friday or from Bishop time to meet up. Paddlenbike and his BIL plan to leave home on Friday and with a planned route of travel can meet us on trail.

How does all this sound?

We will be driving up Thursday night and probably camping that night wherever you tell us to be.
    2004 Lexus LX470
    2003 Toyota 4Runner
    1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5
    1972 Toyota FJ40
    1970 Chevy C20 "shop truck"

I am about 75% sure I can go, but leaving Sac area around 7:00am on Friday is the soonest I can get out of town. (That would put me in Bishop a little after noon.) It sounds like the wheeling is not difficult, so I would be okay with meeting you guys on the trail, if that's a possibility given the distances being traveled.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Off-Road View Post
    We will be driving up Thursday night and probably camping that night wherever you tell us to be.
    I'm not calling this my trip and am open to anything. Like I said, I've never been up there and have been relying on the knowledge of others. If we can pencil out a plan with approximate times we can plan to meet in Bishop and go in together. Otherwise pre-plan, less pencil and more ink, a route of travel to ensure we all end up where we say we will be. I'm fine with camping at Funnel Lake on Thursday night. The GPS route Sean emailed shows two paths to Funnel Lake so having a game plan before the start would be nice considering we have people meeting at different times.

One of Troy's last trips was as follows:

-Thursday night travel to Funnel Lake.

-Friday. Hang out at the lake and roll out at noon.

-Saturday. Visit Baker Lake and hike/explore. Camp at Baker.

-Sunday. Wheel out towards Big Pine.

I'll get you guys more info tomorrow. Basically the southern route to funnel lake, excellent camping there Thursday night. We will be up there Thursday afternoon. Just a reminder, it is like 2 hours from bishop to funnel lake.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I will probably head up thur night so I can take my time getting up in there. The drive from bishop to funnel lake is longer then it looks.
    The two routes into Funnel are pretty equal time wise and difficulty. Both are probably the hardest trails up there surprisingly. When I took the northern route is seemed like it was less used then the southern one.

meeting on the trail is defiantly doable. The two high altitude trips(green lake or Schriber mine) go in and out on the same trail so your destine to be bumper to bumper at some point.

Edit: dont worry about too much about set plans up there. If you get to 11k feet and it feels like miller time, then its miller time lol. If you get to green lake and it feels like the afternoon would be better spent swimming(its cold lol) and fishing, then its time for that too. If you go up high, see funnel lake, baker creek, and the view of the glacier, then you've done coyote flats.
    Last edited by troyboy162; 07-25-2016 at 12:36 PM.

So I take it Northern and Southern are as shown below? And they meet at the same place/camp? Unlike the not-so-much route. On the google it doesn't look like the NSM route is continuous to the the camp area.

My meeting time on Thursday is somewhat flexible. As it gets near, if we throw out some times it would be nice to try to meet up to get in.

correct on the north south routes and the NSM route. I took the north route last time trying to make up time late at night and it was not a time saver. The NSM route just dead ends at a switchback mine road and overlooks rocky bottom lake.

I'm in, but working late on Thursday. I'll either switch it up with someone, or if not, caravan with Ken or something early Friday morning.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast