Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August 12-14, 2016 Coyote Flats

August 12-14, 2016 Coyote Flats

Thank you Mike and Sean for planning and organizing this trip. We had a great time even with our short stay. It was nice to see all the familiar faces and visit all the great places. I hope you all have a safe trip home. I'll post up a few of my pictures...
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Pictures

Here are some of my pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

More pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for coming out guys! Great trip!!!

Our trip started off a bit different than usual. Monday night Lexi fractured her ankle after being tripped by the dog. I was ready to cancel the trip for us but she wanted to go too bad. We decided to go ahead anyway.

We met up with Roy at the base of the mountain. After airing down and fixing his radio (now he knows some Chinese), we started up the trail.

After one of the creek crossings we heard this guy buzzing around:

No way I was going to get the 50-200mm lens out in time, but here is a cropped photo. We initially thought it was a Sky Crane but this is probably even cooler. Pretty sure it's a Kaman K-MAX:

Once at Funnel Lake, we saw a deer walk down to the lake, get a bit to eat and a drink, relieve herself and then continue on into the tree line. Even though we were being loud, she determined we were not a threat.

Rob showed up before dark and we enjoyed dinner and a small amount of the meteor shower. I didn't get any good pictures of meteors, but did manage some decent star pictures. It's something I want to work on doing better.

At some point in the night Mike and Adam rolled in. I didn't hear them, must have happened during one of my 30 minute stints of sleep. We were a little late rolling out of camp and JC met us on the trail. With our group complete, we headed out to hit some of the vista points.

Stopped at the mine or large prospect:

Lou was having none of this cattle guard business:

Navigating the rocks:
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-14-2016 at 04:55 PM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

We had lunch at 11,600 ft.:

Lexi was doing pretty good, but didn't get to walk around much.

From lunch, we traveled over to Green Lake. I guess I forgot how tough that road is. Everyone made it up just fine, but we sure had to work at it. It was a great piece of wheeling with no particular difficult obstacle, and just enough challenge to make it fun. It was very bumpy though, more about that later.

Here is another high point on the trip at 11,440 ft!

While JC and family, Mike, and Adam hiked the 510ft of elevation down to Green Lake, Rob, Roy, Lexi and I stayed up top to enjoy some shade and talk shop. Lou enjoyed the shade under my 4Runner so much he had to be dragged out!

Green Lake:

Lexi was having a great time despite the broken ankle:

This overlook is 11,580 ft, about this highest we hit over the weekend.

From Green Lake, we headed to our next camp. The road back to the split was again pretty difficult and sealed our fate for the next day: we would be going home a day early. With my back pain still unsolved and her broken ankle, we were in more pain than we were comfortable dealing with. We decided we would head home Saturday morning and let the others continue without us. JC and family had made the same decision, so we would punch out to Bishop Saturday.

We didn't get much from the meteor shower on Friday night. I did manage to get a few good pictures:

Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-14-2016 at 05:54 PM.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Here is the link to the rest of the pictures. There are nearly 200:
    https://flic.kr/s/aHskF6QB4K

Recap:

I used a Camco Big Red Campfire since the fire restrictions were in place. It worked REALLY well, but on a 15# propane tank only lasted for two days. The altitude also made it run very rich. Although it and the tank are hard to pack, it was way worth bringing it!!! It is a definite "Things We Like" item!

Ham radios worked great as usual. I did really miss my mobile rig though. The HT just doesn't have the power to go far.

Our Coleman 4 person Instant Tent worked great and really made it easy to set up with one person or two. I usually sleep in the 4Runner because it is so much work to put up a tent when you are cold and tired.

Weather was super nice. Thursday night at Funnel Lake was in the low 30's. Day time highs were in the 70's and it was a bit warmer Friday night. It has been a while since it rained up there, and it was quite dusty. The lakes were pretty low. Hopefully this winter will bring more snow and rain to the area.

I am glad everyone had a great time and it looks like everyone made it out unscathed, although it sounds like Mike tried pretty hard to muck it up

Thanks for coming out! Now to start prepping for Pismo!
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 08-14-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post

although it sounds like Mike tried pretty hard to muck it up
    That's what I do best. Thanks for the pictures. I'll get mine up tonight or in the morning.

Sean and Mike, Thanks for organizing this and letting me (and Lou) tag along, another great trip.
    1) Great People
    2) Beautiful Scenery
    3) Fun Trails
    4) World Class Campsites
    5) Near Perfect Weather
    6) A Learning Experience
    - The definition of Forest Service 3 diamond trial rating
    - The importance of a winch and the (lucky?) positioning of the winch vehicle
    - Maxtrax (or equivalent) can pay for themselves quickly.
    - Seasoned recovery experts (Roy) are worth their weight in Irish whiskey.

Sean, Thanks for the pictures those are great. I will have my pictures up sometime this week.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...YyWDNwbmEtYVVR
    Last edited by RobG; 08-15-2016 at 08:51 AM.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Thanks for the pictures and write up. Sucks about the scenery, weather and people you all had to hang out with. ;-)

Ken, you were missed. Hopefully pismo?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast