Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August 12-14, 2016 Coyote Flats

Super trip...thanks for the pics, and leading the way Mike & Sean. I always learn a lot when I hang out with you guys. I enjoyed meeting Rob/Lou, and hope Sean and Lexi are feeling better. You and JC & Co. were clearly missed the following day(s). I have a ton of pics I'll try and figure out how to post for group access, too.

Thanks for letting me tag along.

Ken, you have been requested to attend Pismo and pay a visit to Donna and Jason I visited with them in Mammoth on my way home yesterday, and they all said to say HI.

So it looks like Google changed my Picasa account over to Google Photos for good. As such the ability to embed photos is gone. Way to go Google. I see this as a step back and makes the account pretty useless now. It also ruins the write up I typed up last night.

I've got to search around to see what to do now, stay tuned.

I went to Flickr. I wouldn't say I like it. but it works.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks again to all for a great trip. Thank you also to Troy and Sean for setting up the tracks which proved invaluable especially since we had people arriving and departing at different times. I recorded tracks each day and will post them up below. Each day was filled with wonderful comrade and breath taking scenery. Yes it was beautiful but we were also above 10,000' which literally takes your breath away.

My Trip started on Thursday after work. Slimscherer and I gassed up and departed Folsom, CA about 3:30 pm. Traffic was light but we were in the mountains most of the drive, stopping for dinner in Bridgeport.

Monitor Pass, Hwy 89, Alpine County

We drove for what seemed like a long time arriving in Bishop at 10pm. After getting more fuel and tying up some loose ends we were airing down around 10:45 pm under the power lines at the beginning of the flat sand. From there we climbed and climbed. We saw a few astroids and Bishop slowly fading in the distance but for the most part this was my view.

Our path Thursday night is the white outlined track below.

We got into camp at Funnel Lake about 12:30 am and everyone was asleep. We set up our camps and hit the rack. At sunrise I decided to go for a walk and check out Rocky Bottom Lake. I sleep well in the back of the 4Runner and when I woke it was around 40*.

The walk was short but was mostly bouldering and at that point I realized we were really high in elevation.

Trail into Funnel Lake.

[/url]

Funnel Lake and camp

[/url]

Rocky Bottom Lake

After breakfast and some chatting we packed up to meet JC.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-15-2016 at 05:47 PM.

We were a little late leaving to meet JC. On our way out he came up on the radio saying he was almost to Funnel Lake but via the northern route, we were on the southern route. We waited for him and then headed out.

The day, Friday was spent covering some ground north and northwest of Funnel Lake. The path is the white outlined track.

I liked Lou.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-15-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Friday continued

Green Lake. A handful of us decided to hike down to the lake, ~500 feet elevation and 0.2 miles each direction. Steep no matter how you cut it.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-15-2016 at 05:48 PM.

Then we made our way to camp, overlooking South Lake.

This was the view out of my bedroom/cargo area window.

Then it got dark and my camera captured a UFO.

Fridays Track

Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-15-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Saturday was another fun day with some simple ground to cover and great views. At this point Sean and JC’s truck have departed so it’s RobG, SavageOffroad, Slimscherer and myself.

Lunch spot

Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-15-2016 at 05:49 PM.

Saturday Continued.

On the way to camp we visited the cabin on Baker Creek. Pretty cool place.

Tempting, but no.

After the cabin we headed just down the trail to camp for the night.

Also tempting but really no.

View from camp

Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-15-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Once we settled at camp we thought we’d walk the short distance to what we thought was a fishing hole. There was no pond there but we decided to hike the mile uphill to Hidden Lake and try our luck with the fishes. We hadn’t really planned on this hike but we had a map and went for it. We were rewarded with the views and fish.

I’ll let Adam tell the story about his little fish friend.

Our track for the day

Last edited by 4x4mike; 08-15-2016 at 05:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast