Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to identify this cricket chirp?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looking at the video, I'm not sure. It really sounds like a bearing to me, but which one I have no idea.
    I replaced my bearings due to the play, which took out a seal. I've never heard of our bearings making noise but of course it could be.

Sean: I was thinking its a bearing as well but watching all the youtube vidoes out there bad bearing makes a different whirring sound. A co-worker asked me to check the bearing by putting the wheel on the hub with the drum removed. Rotate the wheel and see if it makes any noise. The passenger side rotated without any sound, the driver side made a slight (hiss) rubbing sound. Did not sound like a chirp or squeak but that sound could be different with the weight of the car on the wheel.

I changed fluid in both diffs, transfer case and transmission in April a week before Mohave. I plan to change fluid in both diffs after Pismo. I did not check the level.

Mike: Did you change the bearings on your own or had a shop do them? I watched a video online and it looks complicated to cut them off and pound the new ones in.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

I had a machine shop do the work. I brought them the parts and they did the pulling and pressing.

I dunno man... Sounds brake ish. Bearings will be more of a growl.
    Strange that the brake pedal doesn't effect the noise...
    But it sounds like somewhere something heats up in the first few mins, then has clearance to make a noise.
    Just what my ear tells me sofar. Keeping in mind it's hard to locate the area the noise is actually coming from a video.
    I haven't read every reply, so forgive me if you've already answered this question, but can you hear whether it's coming from the front or the back? I would assume the back.
    Anyway, that's more than my 2 cents

Thanks Mike!

Thank you for your input DezertJack, It sounds like its coming from the back. I'll have to keep investigating till I find the part making that noise.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

My BMW mechanic friend says what they do is place several microphones around various places and when driving, switch the audio between them. Whichever one is louder is closest to the noise so that would help pinpoint the location.

I think you can do similar by moving the camera around and finding the loudest location.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

The hilarious thing is I can see that being a BMW special service tool!

I'd say brakes here. Not sure where they would be rubbing but a out of round drum might be at fault.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks Steve, I'll try mounting the camera in different locations as soon as I have some free time.

Thanks Sean, I'll have the drums machined and see if that resolves the problem.

If you're coming to Pismo don't bother. By the end of the weekend there ought to be enough sand in the drums to smooth things out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12