Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to identify this cricket chirp?

Trying to identify this cricket chirp?

I have a cricket chirp squeak coming from under the truck and I wanted to put this up here to see if anyone can help identify it while I try to figure out what is causing it.

The chirp sound appears at about 3m 25sec into this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsxtBNzo-2o
    I mounted a camera next to the rear spare tire carrier winch to capture this video.

I've tried the following to identify it:
    1. Lube the drive shafts
    2. Change front brake pads (changed them even though the old ones were fine)
    3. Cleaned the rear drums / brakes and greased the contact points.
    4. Checked for play in the drive shaft u-joints and double cardan joint.
    5. Pressing or releasing the clutch pedal doesn't affect the chirping (throw-out bearing).
    6. Checked for play in front and rear tires...for wheel bearings, ball-joints and tie-rods.
    7. Depressing the brake doesn't affect the chirping.
    8. CV axles aren't leaking and boots look fine...not sure what they sound like if they're internally damaged.

It starts making the sound after driving a mile or so, then continues till I come to a stop. I can hear it at low speeds (20 - 25 mph) and changes respectively with speed. I can't tell at higher speeds because the muffler and tire noise drowns out everything else. It sounds like a rotational squeak. I'm wondering if its just the poly bushings on the steering rack or anti-sway squeaking. Any input greatly appreciated.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

Sounds like sheet metal scraping on something moving or the other way around. Check your wear indicators on the rear brakes; maybe the brake shoes are getting thin. Normally you would think that if it were the shoes getting thin, the wear indicators would squeak all the time, but the sound is similar to wear indicators.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Check the backing plates on the front brakes. Also check for pebbles, etc wedged in the brakes.

Check that the drive shaft isn't hitting the skid plate for the fuel tank.

Check tires for rocks, nails, etc.

Is the chirp once per tire revolution or faster than that?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Thanks for the replies...
    Steve: I measured the shoes with a caliper they have 8mm of material left. I'll try to post some pictures of both rear brakes and what all I did to clean them up. You're right it does sound like sheet metal scraping...I'm wondering if its the muffler or something to do with exhaust hitting the body or frame. When stopped on an incline I hear a louder metal-to-metal vibration rattle that sounds like the exhaust pipe contacting the body or frame somewhere.

Sean: I checked the backing plates on the front brakes, no pebbles. I'll try to position the camera so I can monitor the drive shaft movement better. I didn't want to mount the camera by the drive shaft because I had greased it and didn't want grease all over the camera.

Its faster than once per revolution. It started after the Mohave trip in April, its just enough to annoy me. When I drive in a quiet street every time around 15 - 20 mph I hear it. I realized after watching the video I should have driven at that speed more to capture more of that sound.
    -Jc1996 SR5 4WD 5SPD 4RunnerStock till 213,000 milesSonoran SS rear brake line|Sonoran diff drop|Sonoran Panhard drop bracket|SAW 2.5 C/O's|OME891-N86|Magnaflow 24|Deckplate Mod|Trueflow Airfilter|BruceTS Rear Bumper|Airaid MIT|Shrockworks Front Bumper|Trail-mart 67 sliders

You'll know if the driveshaft is hitting the gas tank skid, there will be a mark around the drive shaft.

If it's faster (like 4-5 times faster) than the wheel rotation, then it's something from the diffs up to the transmission.

Iq couldn't hear the chirp in the videos at work, I'll listen again at home.

Also check fender skirts to see if they are flapping around.

Or just do what I do and turn the music up.

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Also check the backing plate of the rear brakes, near the lip of the drum. I've buggered the little lip on mine from wheeling and removing the drums. If they are a little out of shape they can hit the drum and possibly make the noise.

Does it always take some driving before the noise starts? Like something has to heat up before rubbing?

You know what might fix it is a weekend of sand.

Oh yeah, because sand fixes everything!

Thanks Mike...I'll be in Pismo cleaning it with Sand.
    I emptied a can of brake cleaner for each rear side. Here's how it looked before I put the shoes back in https://pix.sfly.com/N3EZMd.
    Brake shoes after cleaning https://pix.sfly.com/aOvK4-

Yes it always takes some driving (about a mile) before the noise starts. Could be heat up before rubbing.

Looking at the video, I'm not sure. It really sounds like a bearing to me, but which one I have no idea.

How old is the diff fluid? have you checked the level from the fill hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Oh yeah, because sand fixes everything!
    Yes, by creating another issue somewhere else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast