Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Code P0306

Trouble Code P0306

So it looks like I have the dreaded P0306 code, misfire cylinder #6. I got a pending code on my Ultra Gauge on the way home from work and by the time I pulled into the driveway it was a full trouble code. My code reader also pulls up a P0306 and nothing else in the DTC's. I did a quick google search while I changed clothes then decided to drive it around and see what was up.

After doing a little reading and throttling I ended up at the dealer. Truck starts fine but then has a bit of a grumble. Idle is a bit low, under the regular ~750 RPMs. The exhaust also has a lub-lub sound, not normal. There is a loss of power and the miss, along with hesitation is very noticeable on acceleration (1st and 2nd gear) and driving in reverse. I've cleared the codes and under heavy throttle I can get it back, otherwise it logs as a pending.

I have a spare coil pack so I took the time to replace the middle pack (my Haynes manual says this controls the #3-6). No change. I also moved the spare coil pack to the front and rear positions with no improvement. While at the dealer I picked up new wires and plugs as they have very close to 84K on them. Visually they are fine but I figured I needed them and it would be a good way to isolate the code. After changing the wires and plugs I still get the code and there is no improvement in idle or acceleration.

I just got back from Pismo and put a flawless 700 miles on the 4Runner. I got 20.8 mpg on the way down and 21.3 on the way home. I used Chevron gas and had no problems during the trip or reefing on it in the dunes.

The remainder of my google searches talked about replacing injectors. What's everyone take on this? I'll have to go back to Bob's post about his injectors but in a simple search it doesn't look like he got the P0306 (Sean did though). Napa has a re manufactured injector for ~$60 and new (Napa brand) around ~$120. I didn't get a price check at the dealer but I'm guessing higher, if available. As important as a part as this is I'm not too hot about dumping a lot of money into the 4Runner. Just a few weeks ago I was test driving potential replacements (should have driven my wife's car there, it's on to me).

Later tonight I'll try to upload some pictures and do some more reading. The plugs looked fine, as did the wires. I couldn't see any arc traces on the coils, boots or wires. If I go the route of replacing the injectors, should I replace all of them?

One side of spark plug from cylinder #6

Other side
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 09-27-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Still trying to get the kids to sleep and Camelback isn't working on my phone. Does this price seem right for a Toyota injector?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-TACOM...9V6jIl&vxp=mtr

Edit: Camelback has a price of $118 for the same part number

2320962040 - INJECTOR
    4-Runner; 6 Cylinder
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 09-27-2016 at 07:22 PM.

Like I said before I don't know anything about 3rd gen error codes but I have been finding some good deals on partsgeek.com most of the time I buy Aisan or whatever the OEM brand is for that part. Not sure of the year of your 4runner but they have the Aisan for $106. Sometimes my wife can get the dealer to match or come close to their price.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._injector.html

Your truck might have overheard the conversation about looking for replacement.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Sometimes my wife can get the dealer to match or come close to their price.

Your truck might have overheard the conversation about looking for replacement.
    Are you saying your wife has a magic touch? I'll look into partsgeek.

My truck more than overheard the conversation. It drove me there.

I'd check compression. The exhaust sound you described makes me think of a tight valve.

Did you pull the spark plugs? If so, how did they look, color wise? Dual electrode plugs, right? Sometimes the core of the plug falls out, if they have too many miles on them.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Edit: sorry, just re-read and saw that you changed the plugs.
    Last edited by malteserunner; 09-27-2016 at 08:52 PM.
    Adam

Plugs looked fine to me for their age and all had their electrode. From reading it sounds like injectors are the next step. What I haven't researched yet is how much of a PITA they are to swap out.

Yup. Injectors. Very common on the 3.4 as it starts to show its age nowadays.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    My truck more than overheard the conversation. It drove me there.
    That is hilarious. Good luck with the repairs.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

I would lean towards the injectors as well.
    To add a different spin on things, when mine started to go I actually get back fire under heavy load.

If you want to rule it out, since it is the hardest one to get to, swap it out with cyl# 1.
    If the miss goes at least its a little easier to replace the 1 injector since its right up front.

I had a donor engine so I went ahead an used all the injectors from it.
    If you are thinking of replacing the 4Runner just go with the one, if you are looking to keep it a few more years look to replace them all or send them out to witchunter like Bob did and see what condition the rest are in.

Injectors. I bought 1 injector from Five 0 motorsports and it was helluva lotta cheaper than anywhere else. Running fine it seems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast