Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Code P0306

Thanks for the input guys. I've noticed in the past two mornings everything runs fine in the morning. My commute is about 3 miles and it's not long enough to trip the CEL. Any farther it comes back. Hesitation, stumbling and rough idle.

I've got an injector on it's way from Camelback Toyota and another coming from the eBay. The eBay one was bought under haste late at night. I'm not intending on using it as I've got a factory one on its way so it will probably go into the spare parts bag.

Avy, good suggestion on moving the injector to isolate the problem. Right now the code is for cylinder 6 which is the hardest to get to and requires removal of the most parts. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to dive into removing anything let alone putting my DDM on the injector. I'm just hoping it's the injector, and #6 and that I can stay on the road.

If you got two coming. I would replace another one under that same bank.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Hadn't thought of that. Would there be any rhyme or reason as to which one? With over 180k on the clock I was thinking of just packing one along in case I'm somewhere and couldn't get one. By having the spare it would be available for any of the other 5.

The other one I have on the way will be here tomorrow and is the eBay one I linked above. It looks just like the Denso one Bob bought from Five 0 Motorsports.

Both injectors I order came in today so after I get these kids fed, cleaned and changed I'm headed to the garage. Wish me luck.

Mike,

Good time to check your vac hoses while everything is off.

Everything came apart and went together fine. I've had a few hoses that have had small cracks on the ends but they have been like that for almost as long as I've had the truck. One day I'll get around to tracking proper part numbers to get those hoses. All the little ones that go to the intake plenum are in good shape.

I quickly bench tested the bad injector before replacing it and it tested near what they other two replacements did. I guess this is fine because they were cold and when everything was cold the truck drove fine. It was once things heated up that my Ultra Gauge would chime and the light would come on. I replaced the one injector with the genuine Toyota one and went out and reefed on it. I probably went through a quarter tank of fuel trying to get it to hiccup and so far it hasn't. Hopefully the injector was the problem and I got everything back together properly. Total time under the hood was less than an hour.

I'll upload some pictures this evening and point out some of the things I've discovered. Hopefully it will help some others in the future.

Fingers are still crossed. I didn't get to drive around much today but I drove it pretty hard last night and a bit today. Idle and power seem spot on. No pending codes or hesitation where I would get it before.

Here is what I ordered from Camelback. $118

From eBay. $45

Side by side.

Bad one on the right

Like I said I used the $118 one and threw the $45 one in the tool bag I carry along with the orings from the bad one. I bench tested the bad one and it was only slightly off from the two others. The two new ones were within less than 1.0 ohm from each other. I have the readings written down but they aren't in front of me right now.

I used some jumpers and got the old one to fire so I know it wasn't totally fried. Plus when the engine was cold it would run fine. I'm thinking it metered out okay on the bench because it was cold.

All three injectors look similar and there aren't any red flags on the eBay one. I'm sure it works fine. I'll keep it as it might get me or someone else out of a jam down the road. Replacing the injector wasn't hard and can be done in a parking lot with just a few tools, none of them were specialty tools. Thanks for all the suggestions and I hope it's awhile until I have to tackle this again.

Can you take a photo of the jet side of the injector as well.
    I am curious what the ports look like at the end.

I remember my moms 98 ES300 having a similar issue to yours,
    I did not bring it up because the 3.0 in the ES is a different beast but seems like the injector failed the same way, when cold the engine was spot on, after warming up it was horrible.

The jet side is really hard to photograph. The injectors have the lighter color plastic covering the jets. The plastic has two holes like a little pig nose. About 1/8 of an inch deeper are the orifices, they are 4 small holes. I'm not sure if mine were clogged but the holes are so small it's hard to tell. I shot some brake clean through the injector while jumping the leads to 12v but all I did was make a mess.

I watched a lot of injector videos on YouTube and its not too hard to do. If the injectors aren't too hard to access maybe try moving them around and see if the trouble code changes, then replace as necessary.

Should have threw the spare new one in as well under while the pleumn was off. Than keep the good one you replaced as a spare instead. No point in carry a brand new spare when you can carry a used good one. Oh well that's just me.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast