Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Camper van shopping

Looks great! I might have to get one of those for my trailer project!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looks great! I might have to get one of those for my trailer project!
    I recommend this fan over the more popular "Fantastic Fan." Because the aperture is always covered you can use it when it's raining and if you're parked under a tree it won't just fill the screen with debris. You can also have it open while driving.

In combination with the screened t-vent window I installed last week, I'll be able to crack that open and run the fan in either forward or reverse to get ventilation, without sucking in bugs.

I have some left over butyl tape I can mail you when you're ready.

I haven't updated this page in a while but thought some of the metal work might be of interest to some of you.

So far on the van I have installed:
    -Awning-style window on driver's side
    -Maxxair fan in roof
    -Installed a thermostatic Espar diesel heater under the passenger's seat
    -Partially insulated and sound-deadened (need to do electrical wiring before I complete this)
    -Plasti-dipped wheels (critical part of any van build)
    -Stripped van floor and interior panels for seat-prep

I only have 7 hours a week to work on this, so progress is slow, but I'm okay with that. I figured I would spend a year on the build and it is now in usable form since it has seating, climate control and a bed. The seat install was very involved and took four 7 hour days to complete.

The seat is mounted in 8-foot rails--here is the mock-up still sitting on the stock wood floor:

...which must be supported underneath so the bolts are mounted to more than just van sheet metal. One of my good friends has done a lot of welding and offered welding services. This is what we came up with--a 3/16" steel strap that incorporates the vehicle crossmembers and provides the 7 seat rail bolts with a secure mount.

The straps continue nearly to the rear of the van: (prior to painting and torquing down):

One of the rails passed over the fuel tank, which sits very close to the bottom of the body with no room for bolt/nut combination. We laser cut some strap to sit up in the corrugation of the floor, drilled two holes and welded blindnuts into the hole to keep clearances tight. The forward strap has a bolt head that protrudes into a place where the tank has a recess to accommodate it.

The straps have a tab welded to the end to incorporate a thickened part of the vehicle frame.

Dropping the fuel tank is the easiest thing in the world. All of the food packaging I have encountered that says "easy open package" is always anything-but, however these Mercedes fuel line quick connectors really are quick. (Blue and black tabs in the pics.)

All of that work just to accommodate these:

This project is the foundation of my entire build, as having safe seating for my daughter was my highest priority. The seat has three panels that fold perfectly flat into a bed 6'1" long x 44" wide and slides 8-feet forward-to-back to allow passengers to ride near the front of the van (where the windows are), yet will slide back out of the way to allow access to the kitchen that will sit adjacent to this seat (and behind the driver's seat). Next up is flooring, followed by electrical (batteries, inverter/charger, solar). Hopefully I'll have the next update for you prior to 2025.

I've been following your progress on YouTube Ken, great work!
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Looking great, Ken!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking great! I am really enjoying the youTube videos
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Looking great! I am really enjoying the youTube videos
    Thanks guys! Up next, flooring followed by electrical (batteries, inverter, etc.) Lots of new trades I haven't dabbled in, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Thanks guys! Up next, flooring followed by electrical (batteries, inverter, etc.) Lots of new trades I haven't dabbled in, yet.
    Great! I need to look into the same. This will be perfect...I'll let you figure it out, and then I'll show up on your doorstep with a few beers and lend a hand if you dare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by slimscherer View Post
    Great! I need to look into the same. This will be perfect...I'll let you figure it out, and then I'll show up on your doorstep with a few beers and lend a hand if you dare.
    Adam, I think you need a Sprinter!

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Adam, I think you need a Sprinter!
    You should know I'm more of a Marathon kinda guy Honestly, I wish it was in my budget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast