Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam shaft plugs and seals

Cam shaft plugs and seals

For the past month or so, or maybe it's been since I replaced my plugs, wires and injector I've noticed a warm oil burning smell from the engine compartment of the 4Runner. My valve covers are tight and not leaking but I can see a little bit of oily furryness at the rear of the engine, kind of behind the valve covers. In some searching it seems as if I might have a leaking cam shaft plug. Nothing seems too wet and isn't dripping on the ground but I'd like to stop something before it gets worse.

Anyone have any experience with this or the repair?

I've done a little googling and it's mostly older write ups. Most of the jobs start as a valve cover gasket replacement and lead to the cam plugs. I figure if I tear into it I might as well replace the seals, plugs, spark plug tube seals, pcv & grommet. I've got part numbers and a general idea of the work but was looking for a few details. I haven't peeled into the FSM (nor do I have it on me) but it doesn't seem like a big job. If it is I'd like to pick your brain.

So far my parts list includes:

Spark plug tube gaskets
    Valve cover gaskets
    Valve cover washer seals
    Intake plenum gaskets
    PCV and Grommet
    Cam plugs
    FIPG

So I finally got around to doing this maintenance. The "leaking" didn't get any worse but I didn't like the feeling that I had an issue going on under the hood. In my searching I read that at least two guys would loose a quart between oil changes because of their leaks. I had nothing like that and definitely nothing that ever dripped on the ground. Nevertheless, if you've got more than 150k on the clock there is a chance your valve covers are not completely tight and that you may have a leak forming at the top of the valve cover, the semi circular plugs, the cam plugs, spark plug seals or all of the above. FWIW I'm at 185K.

The best way to check your engine is to reach to the rear of the valve covers and feel around. The semi circular plugs and cam plugs are at the seam of the valve cover and the head. Mine were a bit furry but not really wet. For a better picture grab an inspection mirror and a flashlight to check out what you've got and what you might be working with.

Below are the parts I ordered and replaced:
    12204-62010 PCV
    90480-18001 PCV Grommet
    11213-62020 Valve Cover Gaskets (X2)
    90210-05007 Valve Cover Bolt Washers (X16)
    17176-62040 Plenum Gaskets (X2)
    11188-62010 Cam Plugs (X2)
    11193-70010 Spark Plug Seals (X6)
    00295-00103 Toyota Form In Place Gasket

Also, but can't find the part numbers:
    Spark plugs
    Throttle Body Gasket

From my research this job is a full day adventure but for the most part can take 5-8 hours for someone who knows their left and right. All said and done it's not hard, doesn't take any specialized tools but does require oneself to take their time and think the little things through. If you've been to Pismo you will no doubt have at least half a shoe worth of sand right where you don't want it (on the engine, not your body) and in my case it was about two shoes worth. I tried taking the shop vac to the crevices (again the engine, not my body) but most are too small to really get into. Not to worry, when you remove the valve cover the old gasket and your dirty gorilla mitts will transfer that sand on to your cams where it is much easier to wipe up. I bet I spent 30 minutes of this job on sand management and abatement.

Other than the sand and oil the hardest part of all of this job is moving parts around the part you don't need to remove. The fuel rails and wires along with the anaconda of wires that come out of the firewall are right in the way of removing the covers so time and extra hands are helpful.

While I had everything off and or out I cleaned the plenum, IAC and throttle body so I'm good to go there. Total time was 5.5 hours but I had prepped my tools and labeled some of the hoses and connectors in advanced.

No Pictures? Seems un-Mike like.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    No Pictures? Seems un-Mike like.

I took them but it's such a PITA to post them any more. If I get some time I'll put some on whatever the site was that lets me link them here. Not much to see really. Half of my pictures were before pics to make sure I get everything back in the correct spots.

It turns out a lot of the pictures I took are just reference photos so there isn't anything very interesting. Also there was a point in the job where I was concentrating on not forgetting steps, loosing bolts or falling into my engine bay so I didn't think to pull out a camera.

Here are a couple of the parts. Part numbers are listed above.

Here is the top of the engine with the intake pulled. For the most part it's pretty clean and the only wet spots are where I sprayed degreaser prior to pulling the dirty parts. You can see the sand tucked in there ready to jump in the places they're not wanted. The wet plastic on the left is from the coolant line I pulled off the throttle body. For as loose as the tops of the valve covers were I'm surprised there was no oil up there but I guess gravity was on my side. Once I had the covers off a quick scrub cleaned them up. I didn't work too hard on them since they're mostly covered.

Passenger side with the valve cover off. Notice the chunks of sand and broken bits of plastic laying on the cams? You can also get an idea of the amount of things that are in the way of pulling and replacing the cover. Anything plastic will want to break, any loose sand will want to stick to oil or freshly laid FIPG and the valve cover gasket just wants to grab on something and pull away from the cover.

Thanks for sharing the part numbers.
    I am beating myself up because I just did the valve cover gaskets on our 2000 and those rear cam covers really need to be done now.
    So does the 97' but that doesn't get driven as much.

So is there a seal around those covers or do you have to put Toyota FIPG around them?
    Can't really tell by the picture.

Thanks Mike, that much better. That is one clean engine.

I have a leak that I believe is coming from the round seals on the back of the valve cover ever since I did the head gasket about a year ago. I FIPGed it like the service manual said but I must have missed something, hoping a few pictures of yours might shed some light.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

The cam plugs are an important piece to replace when doing this service. They are basically a rubber coated coin that doesn't get any FIPG or seal from the valve cover gasket, they are a seal. I'm guessing that over time the rubber shrinks and allows the oil to pass through but they are easy enough to replace.

Avi, the valve covers have a large gasket that is held in by the cover and no FIPG is needed between the gasket and the valve cover. The plugs are a seal themselves and the semi circular plugs are held into the head by the FIPG. The FSM calls for additional FIPG on top of the semi circular plugs and in the corners of the retainer for the cam plugs. In this case it's to beef up the seal in areas where there is a break in a solid surface.

Rob, it's hard to get pictures of the back of the engine but with an inspection mirror you can get a better look. On the 3.4 the plugs are visible but are somewhat blocked, one by a bracket and another by a little bar. If they are leaking or furry you'll see it. Both pieces are removable but not necessary for inspection. I removed the two pieces when I replaced to plugs just so I could make sure I cleaned out all of the old gunk and allowed space for the new gunk.

Thanks Mike,
    I have done that with FIPG before when doing valve cover gaskets but I have never messed with the cam covers.

I have a 3.4l on an engine stand in the garage, I will try to get a picture for you Rob and we can keep it here for reference later.
    (I really need to get that engine torn down and resealed....)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast