Yes, I'm posting a wheel/tire thread, sorry.

It's time for new tires on my 4Runner and I've been looking into options. Currently I'm running 265/75R16 Maxxis Bighorns which have worked pretty well but are now very loud. The nice thing about these tires is that they are almost a true 32" tall and they are fairly light at 48 lbs.

For my next set of tires I'd like to go with a less aggressive tread pattern that still works well offroad and in the snow, something like a BFG KO2. This truck does see quite a bit of trail usage so being able to air down and have the tires flex is important, and I'd like to keep the weight down to help with mpg. The problem I've run into is that almost all 265/75R16s these days are E-rated and stiffer and heavier than I need. For example the KO2 in this size is almost 54lbs, 10%+ more than my Bighorns. My bigger concern is that the truck is not heavy enough for E-rated tires which will result in a rough ride and loss of compliance when aired down. I know paddlenbike ran into a similar issue last time he looked at tires.

So... I've started considering moving to a 17" rim since it opens up more tire size possibilities. I loose a little sidewall and the wheels are a little heavier, but I think it's a good trade off. I'd like to stay with an 8" wide wheel with ~0mm offset to keep tire placement the same as my current FZJ80 wheels (21lbs each). The top contender is the FN f(x) Pros which seem to be well made, are 24lbs, and cost $700+ shipping for four. Then the question gets to be tire size, and there are a lot of options. I have a 5spd with 4.10 gears, so I can't go much taller than 32".

BFG KO2
- 255/75R17 C ~32" 45.5lbs
- 265/70R17 C 31.6"x8.8" 46lbs

Cooper Discoverer S/T
- LT265/70R17 C 31.65"x8.39" 47lbs
- LT275/70R17 C 32.2"x8.82" 50lbs

I'm leaning towards the KO2s in a 255/75R17 which are a true 32" and are an expedition portal approved width. Since this is the stock size for Jeep Rubicons there are a lot of options on the market.

What do you guys think? Should I keep the FZJ80 rims and go with a KO2 in 34x10.5? I know there are already a ton of tire threads, but the market has changed and I wanted to throw some ideas out there. Any input is appreciated.

Here's a picture showing the truck with the current wheel/tire setup.

- Matt