Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are all tires E-rated these days?

When Mike installs his new wheels and tires, I'll borrow his old ones and report back, but I'm completely certain my ride quality improved and handling worsened when I moved to the lower load range tire. I'm not trying to convince you one way or the other, it is what it is.

The backspacing is 4-5/8" on the 4runner 5-spokes and 4-7/8" on the Tundra/Sequoia wheels, but they are 1/2" wider, so the Tundra wheels will still sit 1/4" further out than the stockers. Not sure how that compares to the LC wheels, but thought I would point that out.

Here are the specifications of the three different wheels.

Stock 5-spokes - 7" wide, 4.625" backspacing, 16mm offset
    Tundra - 7.5" wide, 4.875" backspacing, 16mm offset
    FZJ80 - 8" wide, 4.5" backspacing, 0mm offset

As you mentioned the Tundra wheels are 1/4" closer to the suspension and stick out 1/4" further towards the fender since they are 1/2" wider than the stock wheels (same offset).

Compared to stock the FZJ80 wheels are about 1/8" farther from the suspension and stick out about 1 1/8" further towards the fender. I chose them because they clear the shock better and result in a 2" wider track width. The downside is that the have a slight effect on the scrub radius, but I haven't noticed this being an issue.

Compared to the Tundra wheels the FZJ80 wheels are about 3/8" farther from the suspension and stick out about 7/8" further towards the fender. So they are similar to a Tundra wheel with a 1" spacer.

The Toyota TRD Pro Rims are 17x7 with 4mm offset, so they stick out 12mm more than stock, which is a bit more than the Tundra wheels.

I'm looking at the FN f(x) Pro wheels because they are 17x8 with 0mm offset, which is the same as the FZJ80 wheels I'm running. These allow for a wider track without requiring wheel spacers.

- Matt
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Quote Originally Posted by slomatt View Post
    Compared to the Tundra wheels the FZJ80 wheels are about 3/8" farther from the suspension and stick out about 7/8" further towards the fender. So they are similar to a Tundra wheel with a 1" spacer.

- Matt
    I'm running a 3/4" spacer with my Tundra wheels and the width seems perfect with the oversized flares...so I think you're on the right track with the FN wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    I'm running a 3/4" spacer with my Tundra wheels and the width seems perfect with the oversized flares...so I think you're on the right track with the FN wheels.
    I agree, I've been very happy with the "stance" from my FZJ80 rims, which have exactly the same width and offset as the FN wheels.

- Matt
    Last edited by slomatt; 01-11-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    2000 4Runner Sport / 4x4 / 5spd / E-locker / SS 1.2 / 265x75x16 Bighorns / ARB Prado / HD-SKO

Matt, not sure if you got your tires yet or if this help you, but here's my mileage throughout the years using one of the tire sizes you're looking at.

The average mpg for the duratracs was 17.3 mpg with a std dev of 0.84 while the average for the KO2's, so far, is 16.9 mpg with a std dev of 1.13. The extreme low data points are from camping trips pulling a trailer up to the mountains. The mileage calculation is mathematically corrected for the increase tire diameter from stock.

Personally, I don't think there's enough compelling evidence to worry about mileage based on tires. Based on the noise in the data, there's so much more that influences mileage than that.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the details on your mpg tracking.

Given similar tread patterns I agree that the +/- 10% differences in weight between a C and a E range probably has minimal effect on mileage.

That said, the extra ~5lb per side does contribute to additional rotational inertia which effects acceleration and braking. The stiffer carcass also might not flex as well offroad. I haven't yet bought new tires, but ideally I'd find a good option in a 265/75R16 so I can keep my existing rims.

- Matt

Great graph Steve, thanks for sharing. I don't keep very good fuel records but it's nice to see someone is.

Well, my diligence in keeping up with the receipts is waning because the last time I updated it was May of last year. I had quite a stack of receipts up until a few days ago.

Matt, for what it's worth, I don't think you should get E rated tires. I think they'll be too stiff. Also note that before I had the duratracs, I had the stock size passenger tires which I assume were much lighter than the bigger duratracs.

Fun fact: I've spent $14,600 on gas in the past 10 years of ownership. In contrast, I've spent $7300 on gas for the corolla, although that's only for past 7 years.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I have E rated 265/75/16 BFG ATs, and they've been fantastic. 64k on them so far, and they've got a bit more tread left. I'll be buying another set when it's time. Best mileage I've ever recorded was 23 going westbound on Hwy 2 through Montana. No AC on with the cruise set around 60.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I thought I'd update this post on my tire choice. I got the 275/70/17 BFG's and they are great. I only have about a tank and a half on them but they perform much like the 265/75/16's they replaced. The old BFG's got just shy, 500 miles, of 60,000 miles and still had a 4-5 months of tread on them but they were worn and had a lot of rock rash and dry cracking in between the lugs.

At first notice the new tires are much softer than the old tires. My first spin around the block felt like I was driving a car. The new tires felt like slippers compared to the old tires. I'm chalking this up to the old BFG's being very hard because of their wear and age, at least 7 years. Overall I'm very happy with the new size and larger rims.

Old vs. new.

Last edited by 4x4mike; 02-06-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast