Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring 2017 - Desert BDR (Backcountry Discover Route)

Spring 2017 - Desert BDR (Backcountry Discover Route)

So after seeing a friends backpacking pictures from his Idaho trip last summer I really want to do the Idaho BDR but at 1250 miles and the to/from trail time I figure it would take at least a solid 2 weeks.

Lacking that much time off work I would like to do one of the more local desert state BDRs (NV-UT-AZ) this spring, I'm thinking some time late April or May would be best. Anyone interested?

Here is some basic information

Nevada - 900 Miles - http://ridebdr.com/NVBDR
    Start: Oatman AZ – 270 miles 4.5 hrs to Anaheim CA
    End: Jarbridge Nevada – 790 Miles 13 hrs to Anaheim CA

Utah - 871 Miles - http://ridebdr.com/UTBDR
    Start: Mexican Hat UT– 610 miles 10 hrs to Anaheim CA
    End: Garden City UT – 800 Miles 12 hrs to Anaheim CA

Arizona - 751 Miles - http://ridebdr.com/UTBDR
    Start: SE of Tucson – 560 miles 8.5 hrs to Anaheim CA
    End: AZ-UT Border – 510 Miles 8 hrs to Anaheim CA

93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Forgot to add (and can't seem to edit the original) I am thinking this is a 9 day trip (Saturday to Sunday) from SoCal.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

There must be a bug in the forum because I can't edit your post either.

Anyway, here's a link to the AZ route. http://ridebdr.com/AZBDR

I might be interested in a portion of the AZ section. The Mogollon Rim, Forest Road 300, is my camping stomping grounds so I could at least tell you where to camp and go fishing.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I would love to, but probably can't.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Steve, would be great if you could join for a while. Hope that works out.

Sean, that's too bad I was hoping you would be the Trail Boss.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

All the routes sound like a lot of fun but I don't think I could swing it either.

I'm planning a Death Valley trip in late April (which I'm posting on this forum) but May is a possibility. It looks like each states' routes are in a longitudinal direction so how did you want to connect them?

Quote Originally Posted by boyfester View Post
    I'm planning a Death Valley trip in late April (which I'm posting on this forum) but May is a possibility. It looks like each states' routes are in a longitudinal direction so how did you want to connect them?
    I only plan on running one of these routes so connecting them is not something I have looked at. Utah and Idaho connect but I can't devote that much time to a trip right now.

Currently leaning towards the Nevada route, dates are still up in the air.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    I only plan on running one of these routes so connecting them is not something I have looked at. Utah and Idaho connect but I can't devote that much time to a trip right now.

Currently leaning towards the Nevada route, dates are still up in the air.
    Ok. Are all of these trails suitable for trucks? The videos show motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by boyfester View Post
    Ok. Are all of these trails suitable for trucks? The videos show motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes with the exception of one section on the IDBDR that has a bypass for that section all routes are suitable for moderate 4x4 vehicles. The routes are promoted as dual sport motorcycle routes and have a lot of dualsport related sponsors. Watching some of the videos makes me seriously consider getting a dualsport, it seems to make the ride much more of the experience then a 4x4 would not to mention the much lower fuel costs.

Here is a quote from the Nevada BDR FAQ.

How difficult is the route?

"The NVBDR route is designed to be ridden on adventure and dual-sport motorcycles, as well as driven in 4x4 vehicles. There are no single-track style trails on this route. Many of the roads are in remote areas and reach high elevation areas where road maintenance is minimal or non-existent. You can expect to cover sections of road with deep ruts, loose rocks, deep sand and other challenges."
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast