Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Project Fluffy" 1992 Lexus SC400

"Project Fluffy" 1993 Lexus SC400

Among all the many projects I have I thought, what the hell, why not one more...

Plans Currently,
    Get it running right and fix a few things to get it road worthy. Originally we had purchased the vehicle with a few more friends to do a 24 Hours Lemons race, but due to life changes, 3 out out of the five fell out of the project so we bought them out (we picked it up for $500).
    The name Fluffy comes into play because my good friend who has gone in on this project with me has a little mini fluffy stuffed animal like from the movie 'Despicable Me' and since the car was white, we were going to give it a paint scheme like fluffy and have fluffy on the dash while we raced.

It is a 1993 SC400 with the Non-vvti 1UZ and an auto trans (A340E....) with 217K...
    The vehicle has had a repaint and some body work which isn't perfect but its not rusted out.
    The water pump is shot, wont even push coolant, however runs great...
    Oil pan and trans pan leak, but still pulls really well...
    Steering wheel doesn't tilt or telescope, its like driving a school bus currently...
    One of the rear brake lines has compression fittings on it, fantastic...
    No radio, so I have to sing to myself...
    Really bad tint on rear window (has to go, any tips?)
    3 out of the 4 main light assemblies turn into fish bowls when it rains, maybe I should get a gold fish as the cars mascot...
    Brake light switch is intermittent, but who needs to know we are stopping...
    The power steering pump is starting to leak onto the alternator, common problem....
    The driver side door hinge has failed, so I am working on my Dukes of Hazard entry and exits...
    And the fuel pressure regulator nipple has broken off and a vacuum line is missing, so some fuel comes out when it runs...

So as you can see, its a project.

Most would probably have said, pull the engine and scrap the rest...
    I would like to have some kind of fun with it...

I will get more pictures later.
    Current plan, get the timing belt and water pump replaced and make sure she didn't blow the head gaskets.
    If they heads are good we will proceed to do whatever.

(P.S. now on the lookout for a 97-99 1UZ with vvti and the harness to put into my lifted 4Runner....)
    Last edited by YotaFun; 03-31-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Sweet! I can't wait to see this project progress!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

You and I both, Hopefully next weekend the Timing belt and water pump get done along with the reseal of the transmission pan and oil pan.
    If I can get these done then at least I can move it in and out of the garage to work on other projects. (Trying to clear some of the smaller projects out of the garage and free up some shelf space and stop collecting dust on certain projects.)

Very nice and quite a find at $500. How's the interior?

Nice, I love me a project. Like the 5VZ, the 1UZ is an excellent motor.

As far as the steering column adjustment, if it's the automated one like the GX470, it's an expensive fix. I know exactly two people with GX's and both of them had that part go out. One drives it like a school bus and the other ponied up almost $3k to have it fixed. I'm sure you'll find a way to address it though. SC's are sweet.

Look on the 100 forum on Mud, there are fixes for the steering column that don't cost an arm and a leg. You might be able to just get to where you want.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Very nice and quite a find at $500. How's the interior?
    It's not fantastic but its not disgusting either, I can live with it.
    We will probably ditch the rear seat and redo the parcel shelf since it looks a little ragged but I think we still want a sound system of some sort in it.

Quote Originally Posted by paddlenbike View Post
    Nice, I love me a project. Like the 5VZ, the 1UZ is an excellent motor.

As far as the steering column adjustment, if it's the automated one like the GX470, it's an expensive fix. I know exactly two people with GX's and both of them had that part go out. One drives it like a school bus and the other ponied up almost $3k to have it fixed. I'm sure you'll find a way to address it though. SC's are sweet.
    Surprisingly there are a lot of part outs for these things on craigslist. And like all great Toyota products there is a pretty decent following for the SC and a fix for the steering column, I haven't read to much into it but there is a sticky for it lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    Look on the 100 forum on Mud, there are fixes for the steering column that don't cost an arm and a leg. You might be able to just get to where you want.
    I will check them out as well.

Tourist
    That is a weird looking truck.

Looks like you have interesting and hopefully fun times ahead.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

Quote Originally Posted by habanero View Post
    That is a weird looking truck.

Looks like you have interesting and hopefully fun times ahead.
    I hope so. I haven't had a chance to work on it, i am trying to get the rest of the garage cleaned up so it isn't crazy to work in.

I am thinking autocross but have to talk to my friend about that.

Tourist
    That could be a cool idea to play with.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast