Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley - Pleasant Canyon, South Park Canyon, Mengel Pass - April 21-23, 2017

Death Valley - Pleasant Canyon, South Park Canyon, Mengel Pass - April 21-23, 2017

I'm planning a long weekend trip in late April to southern Death Valley and looking for a small group of vehicles (less than or equal to 5). We will meet in Ballarat, CA on Friday morning (8:30am) and air down.

Friday: We'll proceed east into Pleasant Canyon and check out the sights along the way (Clair Camp, Radcliff Mine, World Beater Mine, Cooper Mine, Middle Park, and Rogers Pass). We will camp overnight in Pleasant Canyon.

Saturday: We'll head out in the morning heading west along South Park Canyon Road passing Chicken Rock, Chicken Bridge, Briggs Cabin, Suitcase Mine). I've read that the bridge is closed to full size vehicles but people are still driving on it at their own risk. We can decide if we want to stick to the rules or head back out Pleasant Canyon. We'll then head south to Goler Wash and head east to the Newman Cabin, Barker Ranch (Charles Manson hideout), Myers Ranch, Mengel Pass, Geologist's Cabin, Mengel Cabin, Russel Camp, and Striped Butte). If we're lucky we can spend the night at the ultra clean Geologist's Cabin or one of the other cabins or we'll camp outside again.

Sunday: We'll head back west over Mengel's Pass and Goler Wash before heading towards Trona via the Fish Canyon Escape Trail over the Slate Range. We'll air up at the end of the trail and either head home from there or head over to Trona Pinnacles first.

FYI: I did Goler Wash, Mengel Pass, and the Fish Canyon Escape Route last April and these trails were moderately rated at best but I've heard the Pleasant Canyon road and South Park Canyon road are difficult, narrow shelf roads. If anyone knows a preferred direction to travel over Chicken Rock (from east to west or vice versa), I'm all ears. We can easily do the South Park Canyon route first and then do Pleasant Canyon the next day.

Video of Chicken Rock and Chicken Bridge from east to west.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44P0u_HPN24

Video of Chicken Rock from west to east
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYKleveFZ5M

Attendees:
    1. Boyfester (Marc)
    2. Jaydee914

Important Information (to steal from Sean's posts):

Communication:

Ham only run. I don't have any extras but you can find inexpensive radios on Amazon from Baofeng. Contact me if you have any questions about this.

UY simplex primary 146.430MHZ (2m Ham)

Cell service is spotty at best. You may have a chance to check in with family at some point, and are encouraged to do so, but don't count on it!

Vehicle Requirements:

• Vehicle in good working condition, with no known faults
    • Working 4WD
    • 1 spare tire within 2" of other tires
    • Working, suitable jack
    • Front and rear recovery points
    • Ham Radio in good working order

Note: Stock Vehicles are not recommended for Pleasant Canyon and South Park Canyon trails. The road conditions are dependent on the recent storms and how often volunteers repair it. At times it may be impassable. Prepare for a narrow, rocky trail, and very tippy in spots. Terrain will vary from rocky desert pavement, extremely soft sand, off camber sections, deep ruts and washes, and a riverbed. There will also be some water crossings that are easily crossed. All vehicles must be 4WD.

Required Equipment and Supplies:

• Enough fuel to travel 225 miles in 4wd
    • Minimum 1/2 gallon water per person, per day
    • Food
    • Well stocked, current first aid kit
    • Tow strap (no hooks!) & shackle
    • Method to refill tires, if you choose to air down (recommended)
    • Basic tools
    • Sanitation Supplies - anywhere from a shovel and TP to a PETT toilet and privy, your choice.

Recommended Items:

• Rear locker
    • Full size spare
    • Spares for common items
    • Still/Video camera with spare batteries and extra memory
    • Binoculars
    • Fire wood
    • Wide-brimmed hat

This is by no means a complete list, but merely the high points of what should be considered for this trip.

For those uninitiated to expedition style desert travel: The best way to travel is to travel light but do not forget comfort items. Three days off pavement without a good night's sleep will be miserable!

Sanitation:
    At some point during this trip, you will have to use the bathroom. I've never been to the cabins in Pleasant Valley so there may be toilets but be prepared if there are none. What you bring is up to you.

Firewood:
    We will be camping 2-3 nights. If everyone brings 1-2 bundles of firewood, we should have plenty for 3 nights of camping with a good fire.

Weather:
    Weather can be very unpredictable in the high deserts. This event is a rain or shine event, meaning we will be traversing the desert even if it is raining. Temperature can vary wildly but I expect the highs to be in the 80s and the lows in the 50s. Layers are suggested, as well as extra socks and gloves.
    Last edited by boyfester; 02-14-2017 at 05:37 PM.

Glad my template helped out!

I wish I could make this, but I know neither of my vehicles are up to it right now, not to mention saving up for a house.

Safe Travels!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

In! (But you knew that)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Death Valley - Pleasant Canyon, South Park Canyon, Mengel Pass - April 21-23, 2017

Any takers besides JD? I've cross posted this on So Cal TTORA now too.

I'm interested. I'll watch the videos and see how my tundra will fair
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    Great! Let me know. I got someone from TTORA too. I may have two Jeepers from Trails Offroad.

I'm committed to another trip during this time, but this continues to be on my list. Thanks for providing such great info, past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    What do you think?

Yeah, we only have a small crew so far. Let's get some more rigs on this trip!

We've got 5 rigs right now. 3 Toyotas and 2 Jeeps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast