Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear 3rd Member Studs Replaced with Button Head Bolts?

Rear 3rd Member Studs Replaced with Button Head Bolts?

My rear 3rd member has been leaking for years, it is leaking through the threads on the studs. I plan on pulling the axle to fix the leak soon and actually bought new studs a few years ago. I am actually thinking that using a button head screw installed from the inside to use as a more robust stud.

Has anyone done this and has a McMaster PN or specs on the screw? I can figure it out but don't have much free time to go digging before the weekend.

Thanks!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I'll be watching this, I have had the same issure as well.
    I believe it is something like this you are looking to do correct?
    http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/trail...056-1-kit.html

Exactly that.

I did find an old stud, M8 - 1.25 x 37mm

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I've got the list. Hang on a minute. This is one of the greatest upgrades known to mankind

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

You rock!

If I order today, I should have them tomorrow! Thanks!

Couldn't find my list so I pulled it from Pirate 4x4 where I got my list. I think all of the serial numbers were correct if memory serves. Check them though lol. A fair warning that this modification takes a long while. Screwing the buttonheads in from the backside takes a while. I think it took me an hour to do all of the holes. I also tried to use the same system for the longer bolts but there's no way to get them to thread from the backside sadly.

McMaster PNs
    Socket Cap Screws Class 10.9 $9.28/25
    PN 91239A442
    Lock Washers $2.89/100
    PN 91169A200
    Nuts $8.81/100
    PN 90685A045
    Permatex Ultra Grey ~$6

Total 26.98 and enough to do more then 2 axles.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Thanks! I have nuts and washers, so I just need the bolts. I will buy the zinc played ones to avoid the rust on black oxide.

I have this issue too. Watching this thread as well

I ordered these: https://www.mcmaster.com/#91352a158/=16vwyvy

I also have new long studs for the elocker, though I might end up welding up the holes and redrilling, trying to get those straighter than I did when I did it the first time.

I just received a '98 pearl dark blue 5sp runner, haven't done allot of off roading;

So, do the stock "wheel studs" become ripped out if the hub's when you threaten to pull the wheels off by wheeling, this is the fix that y'all are talking about?

Thanks
    Newb

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast