Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear 3rd Member Studs Replaced with Button Head Bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by YotaFun View Post
    Looks like McMaster has threaded rod.
    I have alway had issues with the longer studs staying in or stripping out.
    MAybe with something here we could thread a rod through and then a nut and lock washer on the back side with some thread locker give us another option?
    That could work but the clearence would have to be checked. It might work but to be honest I haven't had my diff off in a year....but it also hasn't been leaking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Putting nuts on the back side of the long elocker studs might hit the locker fork. I know you have to lock the diff to remove and install it, otherwise the fork hits the housing. Maybe a thin nut might work?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

I think putting nuts on the back side is a bad idea. Too much risk for one to come loose and then that $.10 nut would take out your entire diff. I wouldn't trust any thread locker or nylok nut. The only way I would trust it is if you weld it on.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

My retrofit doesn't leak but I'm now wishing I had put some thread sealer on the studs. At the time I was doing my work I was thinking about using this kit: http://www.trail-gear.com/product/46...t#.WNkbKfnytpg

but changed my mind. Sean, do you think your seal went bad? Or that your studs stretched?

I know for sure it was leaking through the bottom elocker stud and 1 other standard stud. I'm guessing once I pulled them out to do the modification, they no longer sealed.
    Last edited by Seanz0rz; 03-27-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123