Thread: Dobinson's 2.5"-3" Lift Installed

Dobinson's 2.5"-3" Lift Installed

Right after buying my '07 I ordered up a lift and it's been sitting in my garage for weeks now. I had done a little research and was about to buy a Bilstein 5100/OME lift like I had on the 3rd gen but figured I'd try something new. I went with Dobinson as they are new to the US market and had many more spring choices than OME and Metal Tech.

For example, they have mid and long travel options. Coil choices for V6 or V8, as well as about 6 different rear coils based on your weight (cargo, 3rd row, swingouts, etc.). I decided to go with the front coils for a V8 with mid weight since I have a bumper'ette' and winch coming (https://www.c4fabrication.com/produc...-winch-bumper/). I also opted for mid travel as I didn't want to drop the extra money for new trailing arms and panhard.

I also went with the Dobinson's UCA's and a diff drop kit. Both are really nice and will help keeps things in spec.

So far I'm really happy with the ride. The stock ride was very smooth but extremely limited in travel and barely fit my tires. This new kit is still smooth yet stiffer than stock. I've only been able to test it on curbs and speed bumps but plan to take it out soon.

Very nice! Maybe we will have to find some trails this summer!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Mike looks great!!!

Any mpg data with the lift and tires?
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

I haven't really taken it anywhere far since the lift so I'm not sure how much it's fallen since then. There is an in dash avg mpg display and it tends to rest around 14.5-15 mpg with my regular around town kid hauling duties. Average mph is 18 mph. I'm not sitting in traffic all the time but just surface street speeds and ques.

As soon as my speed increases and stops decrease the mileage goes up. The UG displays a half mpg worse than the in dash display but I just plugged it in and it has the same settings as my 3rd gen. I need to dig up the instructions and see if I need to be calibrate it or reset it for the 4th gen.

My same around town mileage with the same tires and wheels on the 3rd gen was better, I want to say 16.5-17. The slow speed and stop and goes kills it. Thing is I get much farther distance per, say at half tank, on the 4th gen and I believe it only has 4 more gallons than the 3rd gen. We've been up to the snow several times and a longer trip to the North Coast and it did very well on mileage and distance per tank so I'm happy.
    Last edited by 4x4mike; 03-20-2018 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks Mike,

I'm leaning toward a 4th Gen 4Runner as my next vehicle. I might have some questions once I get closer.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Did you have to give the 100 back to your wife? I'm really liking it and don't miss the 3rd gen one bit. Fire away with the questions when you're ready and I'll tell you what I know.

Not my wife, my daughter has taken over the Land Cruiser. I like her driving it since it is relatively safe should something happen.

I'm really hesitant to put a lot of money into the 100 as it is only going to get so good with torsion bars and has 190K on it, it has served us well so far. I really wanted a 200 but they are still pricey, hard to find, and definitely bigger than I really need. I'm definitely leaning toward the V8 4runner at this point. I think if I find the right one tomorrow I'd pull the trigger. Low mileage V8's don't seem too easy to come by down here.

Thanks.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser