Thread: Flickr aquired by Smugmug

Flickr aquired by Smugmug

I know there isn't a lot of traffic here on UY but one of the nice things to see is photos of trips and projects. For a long time I used Picasa as it was easy to use and post up on forums. Years ago Google decided to change (actually got rid of Picasa) the way they do photos and launched Google Photos. With this change one of the best things we lost was the format of the pictures and the ability to embed photos in forums.

For a couple of years I didn't post photos. One of the largest reasons was because of Google Photos but I was also busy with two little kids. Now that I've got a new 4Runner and have taken some photos I've wanted to share what I'm working on. As such I fired up my long defunct flickr account and got to posting. Now I get this:

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.
    SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

Thanks,
    The Flickr Team

I hope the service doesn't get mucked up too bad. Photobucket is full of ads, hard to use and expensive if you choose to pay into the service. I still use Google Photos to back up and host photos and use my flickr account only to host photos that I post in forums. Flickr gives me 1TB and I've used a super small fraction of that for free and hope I can continue to do so in the future.

These photo hosting companies are literally breaking the internet. And I'm serious. When you search the internet for whatever topic it might be, say, "how to replace the ball joints on my 2000 4Runner," you'll find tons of posts that at one point had excellent write-ups and accompanying photos, now all of which have dead photo links.

I still use Google to back up my photos, but as Mike said, it's unusable for forum posting. So I moved to Flickr, and I was totally unaware it's about to get broken too. Maybe it's time for me to move to carbonite where stuff isn't in danger of getting lost every 18 months to 2 years. I'm tired of the arduous task of moving photos everywhere.

I've said it before, I love SmugMug. I have no problem giving them $60 a year for no adds, unlimited storage, and no compression.

Photobucket was good while it lasted for internet posting and yes it really sucks that so many great posts are worthless now.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser