Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roof Basket Version 2

I have some perforated sheet I was going to use. I have half a rack fabbed up just need to finish it and mount it to the 4runner.

The Lexus is getting a Gamiviti rack some day.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Mike, You do really nice work (design and Fab). Looks like you are fully committed to the 3rd Gen.

Really cool thesis, Just skimmed it as well since my lack of sway bars prevents any roof mounted weight. I will go back and take a more thorough read when I wind up switching platforms and adding a rack.

Spent 10 days on the trail with a buddy with a frontrunner rack, the integral table storage feature may have me sold. Definitely something to think about if you do much expedition style travel.
    Last edited by RobG; 05-12-2017 at 07:36 AM.
    93 4runner - 3.0 5spd
    2005 LandCruiser

Thanks Rob. For now the 4Runner is staying around as I just don't have the time to put into another vehicle at the moment.

The Front Runner racks are nice and I think Lance has one on his 100 series.

Quote Originally Posted by Seanz0rz View Post
    I'm going to need a few minutes alone with that paper...

I've always avoided the expanded mesh due to the weight, but maybe it is worthwhile.

Expanded metal is what I used to get rid of virtually all my noise. It is a pain to weld solidly but I think it was well worth it. If you go with the bigger diamonds it is fairly light (I mean all things considered), I guess if you went with a poly expanded sheet it would probably be lighter but not by much. You could also use aluminum.....but $$$.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12