Thread: Drive Shaft Angles

Drive Shaft Angles

This is a neato video showing why drive line angles and phasing are important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCK4Bob6a0
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

I think I learned something.

One of the things I really appreciate about the 4Runner is the fact that they are pretty capable out of the box and do not require large lifts to make them work offroad. The Jeep guys are constantly fighting the fact that their rigs come with tiny tires and very little ground clearance, which require 4-6" lifts to fit the tire sizes they want to run and thus making for some steep driveline angles and vibrations that are difficult to cure. You add the lift then you head down the rabbit hole of needing extended track bars, upgraded steering components and everything else that goes along with a Jeep build.

It's a similar battle with SAS full sized rigs. I've seen plenty that ditch the factory IFS for a solid axle. Everything has to be modified to fit all the necessary components. Modified oil pans and exhaust, lengthened wheelbases, clocked t-cases and they still have bad drive line angles.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

Yeah, it's the reason I unexpectedly had $700 in drive shafts alone, in my SAS.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.