Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Anti-Bambi Bumper

  1. #1

    Anti-Bambi Bumper

    Well long story short I got one.....not with my AR but with the runner.

    Not bad for smoking a deer at 65 or so. Didn't bother to hit the brakes because the damn thing lept into the road right in front of me.

    Now for the Anti-Bambi device. I'm not doing a full on bumper because I have a lightweight truck and I'd like to keep it that way. All I need to do is keep another deer from doing serious damage to the front end (radiator, condenser, front clip etc). Since the runner sits higher I figure a narrow bull bar that's pretty stout will work better than a heavy plate bumper.

    Still waiting on a few parts but I should have her running this weekend. The skids did their job which is great. No oil damage, just coolant and the refrigerant.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

  2. #2
    Very lucky! If you had it it on one of the sides it would be very bad, but dead center like that and it did well. Glad you are OK.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

    1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

  3. #3
    Full plates don't weight that much more over all the stock stuff you removed and even less weight if you go aluminum
    My full plate saved one of my $600 projector retrofitted headlights from a massive bird possibly an owl. Had a huge wing span. It was dark on a country road. Bird nailed my headlight hoops and lannched it over my truck.
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

  4. #4
    You got lucky hitting it square on. Glad to hear you and the 4Runner are okay, especially for hitting something at 65 mph. I've got a buddy that just hit a deer on the way to work. All said and done he said it was a $3400 repair covered by insurance. Bumper, paint and either an AC line or tweaking of one.


  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    You got lucky hitting it square on. Glad to hear you and the 4Runner are okay, especially for hitting something at 65 mph. I've got a buddy that just hit a deer on the way to work. All said and done he said it was a $3400 repair covered by insurance. Bumper, paint and either an AC line or tweaking of one.

    Yes! I knew they would total the 98 and I'd be stuck trying to find a decent michigan frame (which there isn't lol) and basically sol. All said and done I'm up to possibly 500. I'm not sure if my fan clutch is toast but I filled the radiator and a/c today. Gotta dump the block coolant to complete the flush but that can wait till tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    Full plates don't weight that much more over all the stock stuff you removed and even less weight if you go aluminum
    My full plate saved one of my $600 projector retrofitted headlights from a massive bird possibly an owl. Had a huge wing span. It was dark on a country road. Bird nailed my headlight hoops and lannched it over my truck.
    I haven't ruled a full plate out but I am not sure if I can build such a sturdy wing. The center is easy. I'm sticking with boxed 3/16 for the main two supports, 3/16 and 1/8 for some crush zones I've designed in, and then if I do the wings it would also be a combo of 3/16 and 1/8th.

    Solidworks is underway. I have the crush zones and central supports drawn up. I'll have to mess around with cardboard for the plate stuff though. Any good sources? I've got one box my bumper came in but it's kinda flimsy. Everything is going to be laser cut for me so that should help.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

  6. #6
    A tube bumper is lighter than a plate bumper. The downside is it doesn't look as good a a plate bumper.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

  7. #7
    Or even. Hybrid. Plate center and tube wings
    88 4Runner LT
    04 Tundra

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotech View Post
    Or even. Hybrid. Plate center and tube wings
    This is what I was thinking. But as far as I know bent tube is stronger than cut and welded tube correct? I would have to find a source for the tube bender. There's some fabricators around though.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kryptoroxx; 06-12-2017 at 01:21 PM.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

  9. #9
    It is but only because there are no sharp corners at the welds to create stress risers. However, for what we do and since we always overbuild things, it really doesn't matter. The main reason to bend tube is because it looks more professional. Nothing screams backyard amateur louder than cut and weld bends (and even worse, square tube).
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    It is but only because there are no sharp corners at the welds to create stress risers. However, for what we do and since we always overbuild things, it really doesn't matter. The main reason to bend tube is because it looks more professional. Nothing screams backyard amateur louder than cut and weld bends (and even worse, square tube).
    Well I am planning on smoking another bambi, not because I want to, but because michigan. Since I'm building for running something over at speed that is around 125 or so then I think I'm going to poke around the area and see if there's someone who can help me with the bends instead of trying the hand bend method again.

    Square tube worked out very well for my roof rack though. Very easy to build with.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •