Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti-Bambi Bumper

Aren't there shops that sell put together kits? I thought there was one out of Reno that built Toyota bumpers. They do the cutting and bending and you do the welding. May be something to look into. IIRC correctly there were a few nice hybrid bumpers out there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4mike View Post
    Aren't there shops that sell put together kits? I thought there was one out of Reno that built Toyota bumpers. They do the cutting and bending and you do the welding. May be something to look into. IIRC correctly there were a few nice hybrid bumpers out there as well.
    I was looking for them and I could only find two. Neither were hybrids. I would be very interested in a hybrid that I could just weld up. The savings for the shipping would be nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Maybe talk to Roy at Savage Off Road.
    Adam

That's my point, the things we make are so beefy, that a weld stress riser isn't going to make much of a difference when you're talking about hitting something at 55 mph. It's either going to bend or it's not and it's not going to matter whether it's a welded joint or a bent joint.

But...I do agree that you should go the "bent" route.
    -------------------------
    Steve
    1993 4runner, SAS, 3.0L, Auto Tranny
    2007 4runner, stock. For now.

If I can make the measurements and get a reasonable rate for bending a couple of tubes plus some laser table work I will just use my own design.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptoroxx View Post
    ...plus some laser table work I will just use my own design.
    Or water jet cutting or cnc plasma.
    Steve

All of those are acceptable as well. I will be looking for the best rate. Thickest metal in my design is 3/16" so plasma will probably be the most economical but different companies have different rates.

Not sure how bending is priced. I think all of my tube is 1.5"

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Ok progress is really slow when I have to keep teaching myself SolidWorks nearly from scratch again and again but I think I have a component designed fairly well. I wanted to have a crush insert on the bumper just because I think it's worth it honestly. Here's what I'm thinking as far as design for the crush point.

Assem1.jpgView 2.jpg

The frame plates are 1/4" with the upper and lower lengths at 3/16". the brace in the middle is 1/8". I figure that the boxed design will create enough strength to keep flexing to a minimum but soft enough to flex before bending the frame?

The other idea that I had was to cut the frame back to just before the wimpy brace (I am planning on beefing that up with a .120 square tube) and then adding a frame tie of 3/16" (like what FROR does for the front end of the old pickups) so that would change the design just a little but anyway. Some progress and questions.

If I can't even get to finish the design before the group buy goes on with the coastal offroad bumper I am tossing in for that. The price will likely be too good to pass up.
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Are you saying you're going to cut off the factory crush zone in the frame rails? If not, then you don't need a new crush zone since it'll still be there. If you are then...

The problem is we don't know when the factory crush zone is supposed to activate in an accident so it would be a crap shoot to design our own crush zone and think it would activate at the same impact force as the factory crush zone. Ideally, you would have to reverse engineer the toyota design by modeling it in Finite Element Analysis and then do some actual testing to verify the model. I work with Stress Analysts and I do the actual testing and even I would have a hard time designing such a thing.

I assume you're going to design it for a winch? You would have to do the stress calculations to make sure that your new crush zone is strong enough to withstand a worst case scenario of a sideways winch pull, but weak enough to crush in an accident.

What I'm trying to say is that designing a crush zone is not a trivial thing and I think you should just build the bumper and not worry about it. It'll be fine.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood4x4 View Post
    Are you saying you're going to cut off the factory crush zone in the frame rails? If not, then you don't need a new crush zone since it'll still be there. If you are then...

The problem is we don't know when the factory crush zone is supposed to activate in an accident so it would be a crap shoot to design our own crush zone and think it would activate at the same impact force as the factory crush zone. Ideally, you would have to reverse engineer the toyota design by modeling it in Finite Element Analysis and then do some actual testing to verify the model. I work with Stress Analysts and I do the actual testing and even I would have a hard time designing such a thing.

I assume you're going to design it for a winch? You would have to do the stress calculations to make sure that your new crush zone is strong enough to withstand a worst case scenario of a sideways winch pull, but weak enough to crush in an accident.

What I'm trying to say is that designing a crush zone is not a trivial thing and I think you should just build the bumper and not worry about it. It'll be fine.
    No idea where the factory crush is on the front end and I wasn't aware there was one honestly. All I have on the front of my frame is the two nubs after the crossbar. The crossbar is bent too so I was going to take that out and replace it as well.

In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast