Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anti-Bambi Bumper

Yikes, I don't either. I'd follow Robinhood's advice and steal from the rich. I mean, just design something to bolt on. Like he said, it would take a lot of work to design crush zones and in the end they may not work properly.

Tourist
    Picked up my 96's and my hubby's 99's front bumpers the other day. Big difference in the fatlip's weight, a lot more to it than the sad little shell mine is.
    '96 4Runner SR5 4x4, manual, e-locker, manual hubs too. Stuff happened to it. Stuff is still happening to it.
    '99 4Runner SR5 Highlander, manual w/locker. Stuff is starting to happen to this one too...but not too much stuff.
    http://www.yotatech.com/f200/habaner...thread-201751/
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    Sometimes guys like to be treated like princesses too!

Yeah when I started piecing together ideas I remembered how easily the crossbeam in the front was bent so I figured that adding a little something might help. But when you hit something that force has to go somewhere so that's why I thought it might be possible to design a crush area so that the force isn't transferred to a different part of the frame.

Robinhood is right though now that I think about it with all of the testing. I just figured that it might be something worth a shot. I hope to have some kind frame tie designed in though because that crossbeam will fold the next time it's hit.
    98 3rz 4x4 5spd- Monstalined, 99 Talls, 4.30 E-locker, Extra Lights
    In Progress:
    Tundra/Rear Disc Brakes w/parking brake
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Pause on this item, our offer on a house was just accepted. Doesn't have a garage sadly but it does have space for one in the future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Well it finally happened. I ended up getting a new job and along with it came a long commute through to brainless bambi zombie horde territory. I installed it about a month ago but it has served me well. I've had close calls as well but luckily the strength has not been put to the test.

The ride feels improved with the addition of weight and as far as I can tell it still gets decent mpg although the gas gauge is starting to act funny. Full is now 3/4 lol. Not sure if theres an easy fix for that or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Nice work. You put the hoops on right?

Oh yeah. They welded up nice and easy. I honestly though it would be hard to get everything uniform but it only took about 20 minutes of fitting, marking, and cutting to get everything right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    In Progress:
    Roof Rack/Rear Ladder
    Sliders
    1st Gen Rollbar Shelf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123