Thread: Ford Ranger Raptor

Ford Ranger Raptor

Have you guys seen this yet?

The global version gets a 2 liter diesel, not sure about the U.S. And yes, I know it's a Ford, but new Toyota products no longer impress me in quality or in the way they drive. This couldn't be any closer to something I would love to own, although I would want an SUV version.

Given this reality:

I'd love a diesel pickup/SUV.

Aren't the Bronco and Ranger coming back? Perhaps they may have a similar drive train and lower price tag than a Raptor (although the Raptor looks great).

Love the concept and idea, I haven't read any reviews on the Diesel Colorado yet, there is a ZR2 in a nice green at a local dealer I pass everyday for work that I'd like to take for a test drive. It would be nice to see more options like this on the market.

But I still see a love child of a Tacoma and a Colorado...

I have seen various articles stating the Bronco and Ranger are suppose to be making a comeback, it would be nice to see another body on frame SUV as a contender in the class of midsize SUVs. There is also rumor mills about Toyota testing a diesel for the American market, but always a pipe dream.

With new technologies coming out, I am weary to purchase anything new. It isn't comforting when a fault in radio operation can cause a driveability concern and the only way to have it fixed is a reflash from the dealer.

Last I heard, the Ranger comes with one engine, a 2.3L Ecoboost 4 banger. I thought I heard the Raptor might get a diesel though, but not sure on that.

Definitely a cool vehicle, but I still prefer Toyota reliability. I think we are on the verge of seeing a lot of new engine tech and more forced inductions coming from Toyota. I would not be surprised if the new 3.5L twin turbo found in the new Lexus LS makes it's way into the next Tundra. Maybe the 4Runner as well. The V6 Ecoboost in the F150 is very popular, so I'd bet on the next Tundra having the LS motor in it.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by DHC6twinotter View Post
    Last I heard, the Ranger comes with one engine, a 2.3L Ecoboost 4 banger. I thought I heard the Raptor might get a diesel though, but not sure on that.

I would not be surprised if the new 3.5L twin turbo found in the new Lexus LS makes it's way into the next Tundra. Maybe the 4Runner as well.
    That would be sweet. The 5th gen is unbelievably weak, so a forced induction engine could really help in its appeal. Of course a diesel would be flat-out amazing, but I expect we'll see an electric 4Runner far before we ever see a diesel one here in the U.S.

Ford just announced the F150 diesel gets 30 MPG highway.
    http://www.motortrend.com/news/2018-...0-mpg-highway/

Bring on the small diesels!

I would love to see the new Toyota 4 cylinder GD diesel in the U.S., but I'm not sure they would put out enough power in their current form. I doubt it would be that hard to bump up the power though, or better yet, bump the displacement up from 2.8L to 3.2L or so. The GD diesel only needs another 50hp and 50ft*lb torque to be a nice option for the 4runner or Tacoma (that would make a bit more powerful than the Duramax in the ZR2).

I don't think Toyota makes any viable diesel option for the Tundra. The 4.5L V8 turbo diesel would be an awesome option for towing, but from an efficiency standpoint, it wouldn't be competitive against the big 3's 3.0L engines. And the toyota 4-bangers wouldn't work for the heavy Tundra.

For the Tundra, Toyota's only diesel option would be to develop a new family of 6 cylinder turbo diesels. A smaller, 3.2L or so I6 aimed at efficiency for the Tundra (and maybe 4Runner), and a larger 4.0L or so I6 as a replacement for the current 4.5L V8 in the Land Cruisers.

It will be interesting to see how the diesels pan out for the big-3. I love that the new Silverado and Sierra have an I6 turbo diesel option. Maybe Toyota will catch on.

On a side-note, it will be interesting to see what kind of future the V8 engine configuration has with Toyota. I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota ditches the V8 engine configuration within the next 10 years. Right now Lexus has the 4.6 and 5.0 V8s, but 4.6L is already out for 2019, and I don't think the 5.0L is going to be around after the current LC and RC coupes run their course. It looks like Lexus is going to go turbo-4s, NA V6s, and turbo V6s. The only V8 options then, would be for the Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, LX570, and GX460; and aside from the Tundra, non of these have been stellar sellers. There have been rumors of a unibody GX replacement, so Toyota may very well ditch the GX460, LX570, and Sequoia and replace them with a large twin turbo or hybrid V6 crossovers. That leaves the Land Cruiser, which Toyota may just not offer in the U.S., unless they bring it over with a diesel; and the Tundra, which will probably be sold predominantly with the twin turbo V6 option, or maybe a turbo diesel for those that need to tow. All this is to say that I think the business case for a Toyota V8 is diminishing, and I believe its days are numbered.

Just my $.02.
    Last edited by DHC6twinotter; 04-20-2018 at 09:47 PM.
    -Daniel2000 4Runner Sport | V6 | 5spd | 4x4 | Leather | 265/75-16 BFG AT/KO | OBA | BudBuilt front skid

1990 4Runner SR5 | V6 | Auto | 2wd | 3.90 rear | Cobra CB | 265/65r17 Bridgestone Duelers H/Ts | '08 Tacoma 5 spoke rims | Has an 11:1 crawl ratio! SOLD

I think Americans are finally starting to get over the V8 thing. It only took us 35 years longer than the Europeans. When Motortrend online did an article on the the Ecoboost 3.5 V6 for the F150, the reader comments were loaded with responses saying the truck would never sell and would basically be worthless. Now it's used widely across the pickup, van and even automobile range. Engine downsizing is finally taking recognition in the US, even in domestic pickups. Never saw that coming!

I don't care if it's a trio of coked up hamsters, as long as it has alot of torque and minimum turbo lag, I'm game!

After VW, I don't see diesel recovering.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.