Thread: Roadside Breakdown - Anyone in VA?

Roadside Breakdown - Anyone in VA?

Hey guys, stuck on the side of I-81 about 20 miles north of Roanoke, VA. Just wondering if anyone is in this area that might could lend any time/tools/parts in the morning?

Shoot me a text at four oh four - 421 - one four 87.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

Sorry to hear you're stranded. I'm on the other side of the country unfortunately but hope that you're up and running soon.

Just crossed back on to Tennessee soil, new radiator hose, no thermostat, and no radiator cap. Have to stop and add about a half gallon of water every 20 to 25 miles. But we are limping our way there about 2 and 1/2 hours from the house.

Sounds like the head gasket went? Bummer man. Let me know if you need anything, even if it's just to vent.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

It is indeed the HG (at least).
    Planning to pull the head, and refresh it with new seals, valve seats, etc. Put it back together, as long as the bores look okay once its open.

From the ih8mud crowd - sounds like our oil consumption (that was driving our rebuild plans) may be the result of bad valve seals, rather than rings. So hoping they look fine, and the head refresh handles everything. Dont have the time, or budget, for a full rebuild at present.
    -Chris
    2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
    1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
    1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
    1997 4Runner: GONE
    1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: GONE

At least it is only one head to pull and not two.

Any chance of finding a good used head to toss on there?
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Quote Originally Posted by 04 Rocko Taco View Post
    It is indeed the HG (at least).
    Planning to pull the head, and refresh it with new seals, valve seats, etc. Put it back together, as long as the bores look okay once its open.

From the ih8mud crowd - sounds like our oil consumption (that was driving our rebuild plans) may be the result of bad valve seals, rather than rings. So hoping they look fine, and the head refresh handles everything. Dont have the time, or budget, for a full rebuild at present.
    These motors are pretty bullet proof, Before I left Toyota a customer had brought there 80 series in with around 300K on it complaining about massive oil leaks and blue smoke.

Tech recommended pulling the engine and resealing along with valve seals. Here is the shocking part, customer pay, dealer engine reseal. We were all shocked, but when he pulled that head, you could still see crosshatching.

After it was all back together, purred like a kitten with not more blue smoke

I agree, I have pulled apart several high mileage Hondas and Toyotas and generally the valve stem seals are to blame for oil consumption, not worn rings.

One thing to pay close attention to is the exhaust valve seat area. I though I had a bad HG in the '85 Celica (when it still had the 22RE), but when I pulled the head and cleaned it, I found 2 of the cylinders had cracks into the coolant passages from near the exhaust seats.
    Talking to Eng Bldr, he said it's somewhat common on engines which have been decked or heads cut - something about the valve timing being slightly retarded (~1 degree per .010" removed) and the exhaust valves getting hotter than normal leading to localized heat and cracks
    Keith '88 4runner SR5 Garage Thread