First off, my apologies for the extended downtime we experienced. I did not anticipate the issue(s) to be as severe as I first imagined. Sean contacted me with a security issue that came up and we attempted to perform some repairs but the repairs were not up the stuff.

We finally decided to move servers and also perform an update to the vB software. After a few hurdles we were able to get everything back up and running. We are in the process of also trying to fix all of the bad links that have popped up. Hopefully I can get this all sorted out in the next few days. If you encounter issues, please feel free to contact us so we can add that to our bug list.