Thread: Headlight adjustment

Headlight adjustment

I think I've got a bum headlight or at least headlight retainer/adjustment mount. I know Sean had problems with these in the past and I'm wondering how to go about a repair or adjustment. I haven't been able to dig into things too much but right now the passenger side headlight is pointing inwards quite a bit. So much that I noticed the headlight and grill transition way off before I ever noticed the beam pointing inwards.

If I pop the hood I can get my fingers behind the housing and pull it out and it will move along the threaded adjuster (the upper inside adjuster-which is the only visible one). I'm able to move the housing into position and it will stay but then it pops back inward at the slightest touch.

I've never adjusted the headlights so I don't think I have the common stripped mount, although I could be wrong. There is however a small gray nut type thing that also moved on the threaded adjuster. Could this piece be the offender that is keeping the housing from staying in place?

There is a plastic clip that holds the adjusting screw on the front of the headlight bracket. This is what usually fails, and did on my factory lights as well as when I rolled (pretty much everything failed during the spin cycle).

I can't find any pictures of the clips, and I'm not up to getting one for you. But on the forward side of each adjuster screw there is a black plastic clip (might have faded to gray) that looks like it has a 4 leaf clover cut out of the inside of it. This is likely your problem. Temp fix would be a zip tie to hold it. I don't think Mr T sells the clips alone.

Sounds like it's time for some Depo lights and some Morimoto Mini H1 Projectors!!!
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

The four leaf clover part might be the one I saw floating loose on the rod. I'm not sure if it stripped, not sure how, or if it broke free from something else. For all I know it might not even be the offending part.

From a few searches it appears that this screw/rod is the vertical adjustment but with it not holding it's affecting the side to side adjustment.

Sounds like it. It has a very thin cross section and cracks, especially with bumps and vibration.

push it all the way out and put a zip tie around where it necks down for that clip. This will at least buy you some time.
    2005 Lexus LX470 - Stock for now...

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 4x4 + a bunch of goodies. Lifted, Locked, Illuminated and Armored. Winner,"Best Offroad Truck" - 2010 Pismo Jamboree. It's been upside down and still drives me to work.

Sounds good, thanks.